Re: Verizon Certified Unlocked Android Smartphones
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

@mama23dogs wrote:

@Brobdingnag   Agree.   The list is no longer updated, and the website with compatible phones only includes a few 'popular' models.  
And for gosh sakes, stop blocking Wifi calling!   I can enable it, but it does not work.   Neither AT&T or Verizon will comment on why they exclude them, other than they are excluded.  Other carriers just allow it.  (T-mobile).  

Agree.  In the end, carriers can do whatever it wants.

So if they choose to do things that make their branded phones looks better, e.g. disable features in BYOD [ hey, see our store phones are better!], add more activation work in BYOD,  owner is SOOL, it is after all, their product, aka network.

However, we vote with our dollars and a multi-banded phone allows you to go to the better deal.  LTE is such that there is little difference in voice, data quality between ATT and Verizon except for the breadth of the network, and those two are on par, and I use ATT LTE phones for work.   The big battle now for who will be better in 5G, but that's for tomorrow. 

Today, we just want the best LTE deal as 3G is being retired. 

I remain with Verizon only as my IMEI issue was fixed, but not by any clear policy of theirs, so any repeat of this episode means repeated pain, and I will bolt.

I only need to use LTE for B2B voice calls, all personal calls I use data and a messenger, calls are "free" so far as wifi is free, unlimited, international, and far richer than the network [ video calls, sending multimedia, links etc.,], and I wait to make such calls when I get time and quality wifi, which is often from some a hotel or Comcast hotspot! 

So voice quality over a cell network is only a smaller subset of what I use the phone for now,  data on when I have too at the moment and wifi is no were around, and Verizon doesn't have a monopoly on either anymore.

Enjoy, Verizon, can you hear me now? Smiley Wink

crapshootvegas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to activate my unlocked LG G8 ThinQ via live chat with Verizon, but honestly, going to a store would've been much simpler than getting live help online.

The only other issue I've found with the unlocked G8 is it isn't compatible with Verizon Visual Voicemail. Third-party apps work, though.

crapshootvegas
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to overlook is the fact that locking functionality on unlocked devices will ultimately drive consumers away. I stood in a Verizon store yesterday with an "incompatible" device in my hand, three feet from the same Verizon-branded device. The rep told me my only options for having a fully-functional device are to return the unlocked device and purchase either the identical phone, Verizon-branded, or a different phone that's compatible. My response: No, I can go across the parking lot to ATT and make this phone fully functional on their network because ATT doesn't have anything blocked on this phone. She was fine with that decision, but I was able to get it working myself, including retrieving "lost forever" contacts from (unsubscribed) Verizon cloud that supposedly weren't there when I was standing in the store.

Now that I've resolved things, I'm happy with my unlocked, unbranded device. Getting to "resolved" was extremely frustrating though.

Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

0 Likes
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

@crapshootvegas wrote:

You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to overlook is the fact that locking functionality on unlocked devices will ultimately drive consumers away. I stood in a Verizon store yesterday with an "incompatible" device in my hand, three feet from the same Verizon-branded device. The rep told me my only options for having a fully-functional device are to return the unlocked device and purchase either the identical phone, Verizon-branded, or a different phone that's compatible. My response: No, I can go across the parking lot to ATT and make this phone fully functional on their network because ATT doesn't have anything blocked on this phone. She was fine with that decision, but I was able to get it working myself, including retrieving "lost forever" contacts from (unsubscribed) Verizon cloud that supposedly weren't there when I was standing in the store.

Now that I've resolved things, I'm happy with my unlocked, unbranded device. Getting to "resolved" was extremely frustrating though.

To reinforce this issue, here is an official document provided to the FCC by Motorola regarding the Z3 Play describing the similarities and differences of the various versions, Verizon and other unlocked.

https://fccid.io/IHDT56WL5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3754441.pdf

There is no hardware difference between the VZW and the unlocked NA, North American, version except the reduction in LTE band in the VZW version, you can see for yourselves.  This was released to the public in 2018, and the letter reflects design issues from 2016.  So, its no excuse that this information wasn't known to Verizon ahead of time.  Knowing about phones is their profession, not mine.

So the only reason the VZW phone can provide added features is either its in the VZW firmware explicitly turning on features, or features are activated or deactivated when the IMEI identifies in network what type of phone it is, VZW or not. 

So, BYOD and VZW of the same model, can always be treated differently, and you cannot do anything about it but complain.

Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

My last post on my issue.  The info serves as references to others similarly troubled.

I use right now two Verizon branded Droid Maxx.  One has a VZW SIM card, and the other a Tracfone Verizon card, used as backup for the VZW phone.

For over 4 years, these phones have traveled across the CONTUS, from Maine, to Key West, CA and Oregon and all states between.  The reception between both is identical, kept side by side, 365/7.  One account cost 4x more than the other.

But here are key differences.

The VZW does not have visual voice mail but has VoLTE.  If we pop in the Tracfone card, visual voice mail appears for that account and VoLTE option disappears from the menu. Likewise, if we put the VZW SIM card in the Tracfone account phone, the visual voice mail disappears and VoLTE menu appears.

Side by side, at peak times, between 10am-4pm, While the VZW SIM Maxx phone is always on LTE, the Tracfone varies often its on 3G, at night and wekends the  LTE often appears, but not on VoLTE, because we can hear the difference in voice quality particularly if you leave voice mail to someone and play it back.  But if we switch SIM cards, the Tracfone Maxx phone becomes a VZW phone. Both have identical reception as far as the signal strenght bars.  Also, when LTE is not available data on the Tracfone phone crawls at 3G.  I am not complaining, that's why its Tracfone.

So clearly, Verizon can control the phone features, as well as prioritize their VZW accounts over others, MVNO at least, probably limit phones models too , as they please.

So in the end, if you don't buy a Verzion branded phone, expect to be treated differently, at worst, same at best, for the same monthly fee.

0 Likes
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry.

The link I posted on the Z3 Play models is wrong.  This is the right one.

https://fccid.io/IHDT56XE5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3788587.pdf

0 Likes
Ted2671

I was told by Verizon Wireless customer Service my Motog7 Plus was compatable and they just had to complete paperwork for it to be activated.  2 days later I am told to give it another day or 2 but it will be completed definately by the 5th day.  Well 4 days later I am told this is not the case.  the phone is not able to be activated on the Verizon network and they are sorry for the mis information.  Wel, when can I expec Verixon to add this to their list of phones?  Whould I move to another carrier that does support this or is Verizon willing to compensate me for the cost of the phone since it was their error in information that pushed me to purchase the device?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Ted2671 wrote:

I was told by Verizon Wireless customer Service my Motog7 Plus was compatable and they just had to complete paperwork for it to be activated.  2 days later I am told to give it another day or 2 but it will be completed definately by the 5th day.  Well 4 days later I am told this is not the case.  the phone is not able to be activated on the Verizon network and they are sorry for the mis information.  Wel, when can I expec Verixon to add this to their list of phones?  Whould I move to another carrier that does support this or is Verizon willing to compensate me for the cost of the phone since it was their error in information that pushed me to purchase the device?

If this is your phone:  https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_plus-9533.php 

It is not a compatible phone for any US carrier.  And absolutely not compatible with Verizon. It does not have band 13, and without it it will not work. There's no amount of white listing that will make this phone work on Verizon.  
Did you check the IMEI ?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ 

Even if you took this phone to AT&T or T-Mobile, it does not have sufficient bands for United States carriers.   It will get 3G, until 3G shuts down.    It has bands 2, 4 and 5 for AT&T, but AT&T's main bands are 12/17.    In February AT&T will no longer allow activation of phones that will not get voice over LTE, and this phone will not. The only carrier that will except it at least temporarily is T-Mobile.

Motorola had several G7 versions, that do work on Verizon.   The g7 plus is not one of them. It is possible that whoever you have been speaking to is confused that there are four  different G7's