Why are my download speeds so slow on LTE?
rick1331
Enthusiast - Level 3

My latest test shows 1.03 Mbps download and 4.66 Mbps upload. Verizon's website says I should be able to get download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps. My zip is 49103.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Why are my download speeds so slow on LTE?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want all our customers to get great speeds with us. We certainly want to help get your data sped up. Everything looks good at that area for speeds.

What plan do you have? We ask because if you are on our Unlimited Plan, after 22GB your speeds can be affected. Also what signal are you receiving from us at that location? Anyone having the same issue as you are?

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rick1331
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm on the prepaid plan but I haven't used up all my data yet. I have a HTC U11 and can only get band 13. Could that be the reason for the slow speeds?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone is capable of connecting to band 13, 2, 4, and 5 which are the frequencies used by Verizon Wireless for their network. The LTE band 13 is the lowest MHz frequency of the available frequencies and is the best one to penetrate the building materials used for buildings. For example I also see my phone connected to band 13 while at home. While outside about town or riding in a vehicle, I see band 4 in most instances and band 13 other times. At work, I used to get only band 13, but recently I have seen band 5 being utilized. I haven't seen band 2 yet on my phone, but it is likely I have connected to it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

HTC U11 - Full phone specifications

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting the speeds you should be getting is a must. The band your phone is connecting to should not be an issue at all. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as you are?

However, hearing that you are on Prepaid, it may be best to contact them directly. This is because they can review your line itself to ensure there is nothing causing the slow speeds. You can contact them by calling *611 from your Prepaid phone.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

rick1331
Enthusiast - Level 3

I get the same results with my mom's Samsung and my Sister's LG. Their accounts are postpaid. After reading other sites about this problem it sounds like the problem is Verizon has too many users per tower and that's the reason for the slow speeds.

0 Likes
jrmcc999

I have an HTC U11 as well.  I thought I'd try VZW prepaid for a month, but I'm likely going back to Cricket.  That's a shame, because the HD Voice (VoLTE) does work, and the quality blew me away.  Cricket has HD Voice for some phones, but who knows if their HD Voice will work on my phone or when.  My Internet surfing is horribly slow at my home (even though I have 4-5 bars and 4G) but acceptable when I'm out shopping etc.  My family member's Samsung J7 (Verizon branded) surfs much better at home, but it's not lightning fast either.  I read from another source that Band 13 was terrible for web surfing, but I don't know if that's factual.  I spend 30 minutes or more on the phone with a prepaid representative after explaining that I just wanted to report trouble, not go through lengthy troubleshooting.  She was very nice and just doing her job, but we went through tedious troubleshooting even though I told her my phone had decent download speeds, just not at home.  They always try to blame the user.  It's nothing to do with clearing my cache or my version of Android, etc.  If that was the case, it would be slow everywhere.  She never did open a ticket with engineering.  Of course I could use WiFi at home, but all this came about when my neighborhood had a power failure, and I could barely get my power company's website to come up on either phone, even though the signal was quite strong.  Web surfing improved on the Samsung by the next day, but not mine.  I guess I don't understand the combination of strong signal and poor throughput.  I suppose too many people are using band 13, and the strongest signal in the world doesn't help that.  I just don't feel that my data reliability is going to be steady or there when I need it.  Cricket had a weaker signal and no HD Voice, but my data speeds were always outstanding, even at home, and they felt just as fast as WiFi in many cases.

0 Likes
jrmcc999

Also, I hate the fact that Visual Voicemail isn't available for my phone.  Cricket has VVM available on the Play Store.

0 Likes