Will Verizon provide SIM unlock codes? If so, what requirements must be met?
AJLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Planning to purchase either a Verizon or unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8, S9 or S10. Will purchase it outright, so will be paid off immediately. Our account has been in good standing for years.  If we purchase the Verizon Samsung Galaxy version but later are traveling abroad and want to use an unlocked phone and local SIM card, what requirements must be met in order for Verizon to provide the SIM unlock code? (Or are they even willing to do that?)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will Verizon provide SIM unlock codes? If so, what requirements must be met?
mama23dogs
Legend

@AJLind wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I apologize for being so dense, but I'm still confused on #4. I think it is because both Verizon Galaxies and Samsung Galaxies have a product that is called "unlocked," but they mean different things. 

To clarify:

• a)  Verizon phones are now all "unlocked." This means they can take a SIM card and use on another carrier, and then return to the Verizon network as before. 

Yes.  Carrier unlocked, but BRANDED androids enjoy full services like Wifi calling and integrated VVM etc.   

• b)  Samsung Galaxy phones not offered directly for Verizon are what you referred to as "unbranded?" On their site they just call them "unlocked." They can also take a SIM card and use on another carrier and then return to the Verizon network, but they will not be able to make use of wifi calling.  I'm guessing if we went to another network, this phone might be more flexible?

Well now it gets more complicated (don’t kill me 😁)   Specifically Samsung branded S class devices will eventually be updated so they can completely convert to another carriers files.   Example:  the S8 I bought from AT&T, once unlocked and had the next OS update, it was able to completely convert, and I used it on Verizon prepaid, Wifi calling and all.  To be clear, the S8 from a US carrier can convert running android Oreo or pie.  The S9 series can now convert running pie.  The S10 series may not (can’t say yet) convert until android Q release (I’m going by history and info from a developer)

I now have a Verizon S9, which I was able to convert completely to AT&T.   It’s as simple as installing the other SIM card.  (See photos)  

Here are my questions:

What are the differences in these two phones (Verizon "unlocked" vs Samsung "unbranded" unlocked) as they relate to:

1. timeliness of Android updates (are they both on the same update schedule?) Some reviewers say unlocked phones directly from the manufacturer get updated more often and first, while other reviewers say that they only get updated quarterly and receive less updates than the carrier updates. Can you speak to Verizon's update schedule as it compares to Samsung's?   If history determines the future, branded phones got updates first.  Amazing but true. 
  2. Verizon phones can not remove software. Can phones purchased directly from the manufacturer (unbranded) install select software if used on a Verizon postpaid plan? Is there any software that is required to be installed on a manufacturer (unbranded) phone?   Again, not a straight answer.   Since the S8 series a lot of the software can be removed by the user.  Junk apps like Yelp, Peel, blah, blah.   The anchor apps cannot, but some may be disabled.  When a branded phone converts to another carrier, carrier software is added and removed to appear as a carrier phone.  Yet it won’t effect user software or data.  Trust me.  Done it.  Amazing.  

1. Access to features on the Verizon plan: Are there ANY features besides wifi calling that unbranded phones are not able to access?  All the advanced calling feature may be unavailable.  Wifi calling, video calling, visual voicemail, and number share.  

Hopefully that makes it more clear rather than less.   

Personally I use Wifi calling, so I buy a device capable of doing so.  Having a device that can convert to another US carrier is also a plus as I have a line on At&t and Verizon.   But if I bought a 10 series phone, I might have to wait till android Q for cross carrier conversion to happen  (that may not be an issue for you at all)

View solution in original post

Re: Will Verizon provide SIM unlock codes? If so, what requirements must be met?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Other than certain prepaid devices, phones aren't locked.

Device Unlocking Policies

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of knowing if your device can be used with an international service provider after purchasing your device outright through us, and we'll be more than happy to provide more information, AJLind. Devices sold through Verizon Wireless are unlocked upon the initial activation to the network, and will not require an unlock code after. This means your device will be able to be used with any other provider as long as it is first activated on our network. We attached a link to our website where you may find more information on our Device Unlocking Policies. If you have any questions, please let us know. http://spr.ly/6603EbF9t;

DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
AJLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for this speedy reply. 

I'm weighing the difference between purchasing an "unlocked" Samsung Galaxy vs. purchasing a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S9 or S10. 

1. We want to be able to travel and have the freedom to pick the best plan that works for us, whether that is a Verizon International plan, or purchasing a sim card in-country and using that while there. 
  2. To clarify: would it be possible to use a SIM card specific to another country (Canada, Mexico, or elsewhere) while there? Is it as simple as making sure the phone is compatible and inserting a pre-paid SIM? 
  3. Also, once a phone is unlocked, is it possible to remove some Verizon apps that we have zero use for? (NFL Mobile comes to mind). (Some people would call these bloatware.)
  4. Also, if a phone is "unlocked" or used on another carrier while for example traveling abroad, would it then be possible to return back to the US, hop back on Verizon and enjoy all of the services that come with a Verizon phone?

I'm thinking about receiving timely Android updates, visual voicemail, wifi and video calling, or other features that are specific to Verizon. I've heard that people who purchase unlocked phones and use the Verizon network do not have access to these features, or must pay additional for them. 

5. What is the difference between prepaid and postpaid devices? Is this referring to our terms of service? For example, I currently have a Verizon plan and send my payment each month: this is postpay? And pre-paid would be where a person has X number of minutes/texts or data loaded on a card that they use with a particular phone?

If we are able to purchase Verizon specific phones, use them with other carriers elsewhere if that is a better fit, remove unwanted apps, and still return to our Verizon network and features, I don't see any benefit to purchasing an unlocked phone. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any insight from the community here! Your help is much appreciated.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

1.  All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the box, so are capable of using non Verizon SIM cards.  (Except for select prepaid phones, see below)

2. Yes

3.   Already unlocked, but NO.  Carrier unlocking does not permit you to alter the software.  You buy and own the hardware, the software is only licensed for your use as is.  Wifi calling is not available on non branded androids

4.   N/A

5.  Phones sold off the prepaid page may be subsidized and are required to complete time on prepaid before you can use anywhere else.   Any postpaid phone can be used on prepaid.  

Prepaid pays before service works, has no bill, no paperwork, no late fees.    No, you do not have “minutes” on a card.  Prepaid plans all have unlimited talk and text and a fixed amount of data.  You can see plans available from links at the top of page.

Postpaid is billed during the service month and is due before the month is up.  There are some features, like visual voicemail that will work on postpaid android only.  Only postpaid accounts can use installments to upgrade.  Postpaid plans are all “shared “ and priced ala carte, even if only one device.  

0 Likes
AJLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help!

I apologize for being so dense, but I'm still confused on #4. I think it is because both Verizon Galaxies and Samsung Galaxies have a product that is called "unlocked," but they mean different things. 

To clarify:

• a)  Verizon phones are now all "unlocked." This means they can take a SIM card and use on another carrier, and then return to the Verizon network as before. 
  • b)  Samsung Galaxy phones not offered directly for Verizon are what you referred to as "unbranded?" On their site they just call them "unlocked." They can also take a SIM card and use on another carrier and then return to the Verizon network, but they will not be able to make use of wifi calling.  I'm guessing if we went to another network, this phone might be more flexible?

Here are my questions:

What are the differences in these two phones (Verizon "unlocked" vs Samsung "unbranded" unlocked) as they relate to:

1. timeliness of Android updates (are they both on the same update schedule?) Some reviewers say unlocked phones directly from the manufacturer get updated more often and first, while other reviewers say that they only get updated quarterly and receive less updates than the carrier updates. Can you speak to Verizon's update schedule as it compares to Samsung's?
  2. Verizon phones can not remove software. Can phones purchased directly from the manufacturer (unbranded) install select software if used on a Verizon postpaid plan? Is there any software that is required to be installed on a manufacturer (unbranded) phone? 
  3. Access to features on the Verizon plan: Are there ANY features besides wifi calling that unbranded phones are not able to access?

@mama23dogs wrote:

1.  All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the box, so are capable of using non Verizon SIM cards.  (Except for select prepaid phones, see below)

2. Yes

3.   Already unlocked, but NO.  Carrier unlocking does not permit you to alter the software.  You buy and own the hardware, the software is only licensed for your use as is.  Wifi calling is not available on non branded androids

4.   N/A

5.  Phones sold off the prepaid page may be subsidized and are required to complete time on prepaid before you can use anywhere else.   Any postpaid phone can be used on prepaid.  

Prepaid pays before service works, has no bill, no paperwork, no late fees.    No, you do not have “minutes” on a card.  Prepaid plans all have unlimited talk and text and a fixed amount of data.  You can see plans available from links at the top of page.

Postpaid is billed during the service month and is due before the month is up.  There are some features, like visual voicemail that will work on postpaid android only.  Only postpaid accounts can use installments to upgrade.  Postpaid plans are all “shared “ and priced ala carte, even if only one device.  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@AJLind wrote:

Thanks for your help!

To clarify:

Yes.  Carrier unlocked, but BRANDED androids enjoy full services like Wifi calling and integrated VVM etc.   

Well now it gets more complicated (don’t kill me 😁)   Specifically Samsung branded S class devices will eventually be updated so they can completely convert to another carriers files.   Example:  the S8 I bought from AT&T, once unlocked and had the next OS update, it was able to completely convert, and I used it on Verizon prepaid, Wifi calling and all.  To be clear, the S8 from a US carrier can convert running android Oreo or pie.  The S9 series can now convert running pie.  The S10 series may not (can’t say yet) convert until android Q release (I’m going by history and info from a developer)

I now have a Verizon S9, which I was able to convert completely to AT&T.   It’s as simple as installing the other SIM card.  (See photos)  

Here are my questions:

1. timeliness of Android updates (are they both on the same update schedule?) Some reviewers say unlocked phones directly from the manufacturer get updated more often and first, while other reviewers say that they only get updated quarterly and receive less updates than the carrier updates. Can you speak to Verizon's update schedule as it compares to Samsung's?   If history determines the future, branded phones got updates first.  Amazing but true. 
  2. Verizon phones can not remove software. Can phones purchased directly from the manufacturer (unbranded) install select software if used on a Verizon postpaid plan? Is there any software that is required to be installed on a manufacturer (unbranded) phone?   Again, not a straight answer.   Since the S8 series a lot of the software can be removed by the user.  Junk apps like Yelp, Peel, blah, blah.   The anchor apps cannot, but some may be disabled.  When a branded phone converts to another carrier, carrier software is added and removed to appear as a carrier phone.  Yet it won’t effect user software or data.  Trust me.  Done it.  Amazing.  

1. Access to features on the Verizon plan: Are there ANY features besides wifi calling that unbranded phones are not able to access?  All the advanced calling feature may be unavailable.  Wifi calling, video calling, visual voicemail, and number share.  

Hopefully that makes it more clear rather than less.   

Personally I use Wifi calling, so I buy a device capable of doing so.  Having a device that can convert to another US carrier is also a plus as I have a line on At&t and Verizon.   But if I bought a 10 series phone, I might have to wait till android Q for cross carrier conversion to happen  (that may not be an issue for you at all)

mama23dogs
Legend

Don’t know about you, but my inner geek is sated.   This is my Verizon branded S9 converting to AT&T.

Conversion is happening where the screen is blue   It takes several minutes.

4BA3DE66-6511-4B9A-BDF9-A229B0C410DE.jpeg3D303E6B-A126-4D1F-8A42-04E5604D8703.jpeg7074C7BC-82F3-43FF-8473-9B5A893EAE9A.jpeg123E3AC3-9118-4EC2-BD8A-1CB44E666AD6.jpeg

0 Likes
AJLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow. That also speaks to my inner geek. Thank you for taking the time to help me understand how all of this works!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

My pleasure 🤓.  LOL.

0 Likes