$500 BYOD Fraud times 4 Lines
redcabo7
Enthusiast - Level 2

On August 22, 2021 I ported 4 phone lines from AT&T (14 years with them) to VZW. I was told they have superior service but I guess that's how they get you in, by offering false promises. The 4 phones I brought over were all iPhones owned by me (BYOD) which promised me $500 per device ($2,000 total) as long as the lines remain active for 45 days (see image from the VZW website).

I received emails saying my rebate submissions was rejected. After chatting with a VZW rep, I am being told all 4 lines are not eligible yet all 4 phone lines are active. VZW rebate department has obviously not read their BYOD requirements on their front page.

Verizon Wireless has lost my respect as a superior company but I will not be out my $2,000. I will be taking this to BBB.

VZW Rebate Issue 1.PNG

Re: $500 BYOD Fraud times 4 Lines
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is never what we want to hear, we are so glad that you have joined us. It should have been a smooth and easy experience and I am sorry that it was not. Did you receive any other details as to why they were not eligible? If not, you can find that here: http://spr.ly/6609J3Rhz -Rosie

0 Likes
redcabo7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rosie - Thank you for your response. It is deemed that because I upgraded my phones I no longer am eligible for BYOD however the $500 BYOD verbiage on the main VZW page (click on the ‘i’) states “line must remain active for 45 days”. I spoke to VZW customer service and they agree the verbiage is deceiving. When escalated to the manager, that person said even though it says “line” and not “device”, they are not going to honor the BYOD.

Can’t say I’m happy with the manager but VZW customer service personnel has been very polite and assisted to make sure I am not out of money moving from AT&T to VZW. Not the best way to start with VZW and legally based on the verbiage I am owed the $500 BYOD for my 4 lines. Ironically they have escalated the website verbiage issue to the web team to get corrected.

Hope my future with VZW is not as bumpy as the past week.

0 Likes
SP386
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact thing is happening to me. 4 rebates promised from employee handling my order when we switched.  She even offered to process order for purchase of new phones. Now telling me the phones had to remain on the account for 45 days. NO UPGRADES ALLOWED FOR 45 DAYS. Nobody bothered to mention that until after we upgraded our phones. 

redcabo7
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you look at the picture I posted from the website, that’s all we have to go by until they send you the rejection. In your case, you were set up by VZW employee for failure. All mine was done online and chatted with VZW, unfortunately no record of chats for any proof.

Needless to say I have already submitted this complaint to BBB. Probably won’t do anything but worth others seeing what I wish I would have before I switched from AT&T (14 years with them). VZW’s bait and switch is definitely fraudulent as they set you up for failure right from the beginning.

0 Likes
-Troy-
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh my goodness.  Looks like I am not the only one that experienced this.  I am in the same predicament with you.  I am in the process of filing a formal complaint with the FTC and BBB.    

redcabo7
Enthusiast - Level 2

To see what customer service is seeing on their computer (I tested a laptop on Chrome and MS Edge as well as iOS Safari) and why those who are not being honored their $500 BYOD after upgrading their phones, follow these steps (it won't let me upload a picture):

1. Do not log into your VZW account
  2. Go to www.verizon.com
  3. Click near the top where it says "bring your own phone"
  4. Bring Your Own Device page opens
  5. That same spot where you clicked "bring your own phone" click the 'i' just to the right. That says "Line must remain active for 45 days".
  6. Now under the picture to the left there is a section that says "Get a $500 gift card". Click on "See the details"
  7. That states "device must remain activated for 45 consecutive days"
    • This is what all Customer Service and Managers are saying (hold on, it gets better)

Now that VZW has you as a customer, follow these steps:

1. Go to www.verizon.com
  2. At the top right press "Sign In"
  3. You will land at the Welcome Back page
  4. Same as step 3 when not logged in, click near the top where it says "bring your own phone"
  5. Bring Your Own Device page opens
  6. That same spot where you clicked "bring your own phone" click the 'i' just to the right. That says "Line must remain active for 45 days".
  7. In the picture where it says "Get up to 500....", just above the "Get Started" click the 'i". That says "Line must remain active for 45 days".

"See the details" is gone and for those of you, like me, who upgraded their phones online you MUST BE LOGGED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT therefore you will not see the same thing as if you are not logged in.

I am beyond disgusted with what I have found and to think all those people out there who have given up. This is a click and bait S C A M (flagged for putting the letters together) and is as fraudulent as they get. For a customer to get to the bottom of this issue is a problem for Verizon. I have screenshots and video of this. This has been escalated above a manager and should Verizon not hold to my rebates, further steps will be taken.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SP386, promotions including BYOD gift card promos do have certain requirements. The $500 BYOD promotion does require the device you brought to remain active with Verizon for 45 days as that is the reason for the promotion Bring Your Own Device. Please see the link below as this is listed specifically on the main page of our website. Thank you.

https://www.verizon.com/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D09112634645011704492017963168876478783%7CMCAID%3D30B2DCB19...

*Joshua

0 Likes
redcabo7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Joshua - You are missing what the issue is and your contribution is a canned response like all VZW customer service respond with.

My steps show exactly the issue and is completely unethical what VZW is doing. It’s called click and bait and is completely fraudulent.…..and if they didn’t know they have the issue I have pointed it out and those that have applied for the BYOD rebate up to this point are owed the money.

JJFM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going through this issue right now! I'm being told that my rebate was rejected because I picked up my sim cards from the store and did not have them shipped to me since I did the purchase online siting "not from a participating location". To then being told that after my phone was broken and I went to get a new one the I M E I was different and that also somehow voided the rebate. How did such simple tasks get your entire rebate taken away from you when I've ported over my number, already paid my first bill, still using the new phone on the account, have the unlimited plan AND activate 2 lines on the account? This is BEYOND frustrating and unfair! No wonder so many people are calling this false advertisement because that's how it feels. And to add insult to injury it's not like they were not going to get that money back in the first place since we are only allowed to use it on the site or their stores. total conneries and this does not build any kind of trust. Super disheartened by this.

0 Likes