Really weird policy regarding BYOD
md_sha
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All,

I switched to Verizon in March 2023 and got the current BYOD offer which is 14$ discount for each device for 3 years. Now i wanted to change my phone on one of the lines due to performance issues and i was told by the customer service that even if i bring in my own new device, the BYOD discount will be terminated. That means i can't change my device for 3 years now? This is very weird as i am not trying to get the phone financed from Verizon but wanted to buy a new phone on my own and just change it on one line. Not having the best of experiences since switching to Verizon as has another connectvity issue unresolved since i ported in to Verizon. Not sure why but i feel i made a mistake switching from T-Mobile. Do you guys have any update on the new BYOD policy guidelines as i feel nothing much is mentioned on their website?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Really weird policy regarding BYOD
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Excellent question! If you choose the activate today option, the Best Buy site will process this device change as an upgrade to your line, which would affect the device payment and promotion for that line. You would have to purchase the device unlocked, and with the Activate later option. ~Peter

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you have not gotten the correct information in regard to our promotional discounts. You will not lose your promotional discount if you switch to another device on that line. I apologize for any inconvenience this information may have caused you. ~Peter

0 Likes
md_sha
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh wow, i asked 4 representatives same question (3 on chat, one on phone call) and all of them said that my discount will be discontinued. You are the first one telling me that the byod discount will remain if i change the device which i dont buy from Verizon. 

Just curious if the discount will remain if i purchase the device through best buy(full payment upfront) and use "activate today" option there?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Excellent question! If you choose the activate today option, the Best Buy site will process this device change as an upgrade to your line, which would affect the device payment and promotion for that line. You would have to purchase the device unlocked, and with the Activate later option. ~Peter

0 Likes
md_sha
Enthusiast - Level 2

Understood, thank you very much for the detailed response. I wish the customer service representatives have this much knowledge so we don't have to go through such frustration.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're welcome! I apologize about the misinformation you were given, but I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you so that you can keep your promotion. ~Peter

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can activate any phone on your line as long as it is purchased at the full retail price price without activation as part of the purchase. The VZW rep that indicated the Best Buy purchase option at full price with activation later is the correct way to go to add a new phone to the line without affecting any existing promotions on the line. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.