3G only Rural Areas need access to new Broadband rates without new 4G device
VRF

I live in a rural 3G only area and have excellent service on my 3G mobile broadband modem.  However I pay $59.99 for 5G with $0.05/MB (it was $0.25/mb until Verizon changed for me) or $50. for each additional GB, but much better than the old $250./MB.

To get the 5G plan for $50 plus $10/GB, Verizon requires an upgrade to the new 4G mobile broadband modems.  However, the customer reviews on Verizon Wireless show that both of these devices have very high disconnect rates in 3G only rural areas.  Thus you can not get the cheaper rate plan without giving up reliable service for high disconnect service.  Rural areas should be allowed to just change to these rate plans until there is a modem that works in 3G only areas.  I tried to do this but the system does not allow the customer service person to do that change.

0 Likes
Re: 3G only Rural Areas need access to new Broadband rates without new 4G device
pksg

I am in the same boat as you.  My modem and 3G is working great (tower is only about a mile away...can see the light blinking at night from our backyard). I'm just afraid if I upgrade to one of the modems that is 'compatible' w/ 3G, it won't work as well.  I do love the thought of paying 10 bucks less a month though.

0 Likes
Re: 3G only Rural Areas need access to new Broadband rates without new 4G device
Not applicable
After your contract expires and you finish paying for your device, you should be able to renew your 3G plan and get the 5GB for $50.
0 Likes