4510 can't stay connected - intermittent reconnects
JustAGuyInNC

What is WRONG with this device.  It is always dropping and reconnecting....every few minutes, in different locations around the country.  ...both 3g and 4g.  If I were to simply surf the web, one would probably never notice it.  However, it's problematic for keeping connected to various chat engines....and LiveMeeting/webinar sessions are PAINFUL.  I've had other broadband devices from Verizon in the past, and have had similar issues.  Verizon just seems to keep sending out replacements that have the same problems.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: 4510 can't stay connected - intermittent reconnects
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good luck.  This is the same behavior I've been experiencing, and it is in my opinion even worse.  Often it drops and does not reconnect without a power down/up.  It's very disruptive for all types of use and IMHO makes the product not fit for use.  Verizon has been essentially of no value whatsoever in resolving virtually a single one of the symptoms.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello Guy,

I would suggest starting with the basic solutions and working your way up from there.  Here is a list that I have compiled with the most common solutions.  Feel free to let me know if you need the specific steps for any of them.

Common solutions:

1. Update firmware to 2.23

2. Lower your MiFi to B/G down from B/G/N

3. Lower your MiFi to 3G only connections

4. Reset your MiFi to the defaults

5. Reseat your SIM card

6. Attach an external Antenna

7. Purchase a car booster kit from Wilson Electronics

8. Power down your MiFi when not in use

9. Store your MiFi in an area where it is not exposed to extreme heat or cold

10. Try different locations and look for consistencies or gaps in service

11. Replace the MiFi under warranty

Your two best help suggestions at this point are to update the firmware and reseat the SIM card.  Give those a shot and see if you can find any sign of improvement.

0 Likes
JustAGuyInNC

John,

I haven't updated the firmware to your suggested 2.23 version.  1) It's not an option given to me, as the 'update firmware' link is greyed out.  2) I've seen on some other forums where it wasn't recommended to do so in the first place, as it's potentially unstable.  That being said, I'm reluctant to go too far out on a limb, as I don't want to introduce more problems than what I started with.

I've done most of what you recommended below - and I appreciate the guidance.

In talking with a support guy, he mentioned that it looks to be the wifi connection between the device and the laptop (though the wifi works well on my laptop.)  I'm aware of a hack to "tether" the device and will go down that route and see what happens.

thanks for the advice!

-aaron

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

While its true that some have had issues since updating the firmware, the general results have been positive.  The most common issue with the firmware update is the software when running from a Mac, VM, or Win7 machine.  If you have the opportuntiy to update your firmware on a different OS then I suggest giving it a chance.  Otherwise a Verizon store rep can handle the proceedure for you too.

The direct download link to the firmware update can be found here:

http://production.4510.verizon.mifiupdates.com/Windows/MiFi4510LWin.zip

In instances where the MiFi is dropping its wireless signal between the laptop and itself most users can find relief by lowering the wireless signal from B/G/N down to B/G.  It has something to do with wireless drivers not being completly compatible with the new wireless N signals.  The older B/G formats appear to be much more stable.

I'm not aware of any hacks that allow you to truely teather a MiFi connection through a USB cable.  In my experiece the only thing you can do is set up your MiFi to charge and broadcast through a USB cable at the same time.  The most recent firmware version allows you to do that without any modifications/hacks anyways.  Your connection to the MiFi will still be wireless though.  If you can figure out a way to turn your MiFi into a USB modem then share your steps with us.  I'd like to know and I'm sure others would too.

0 Likes
JustAGuyInNC

John,

Thanks for the clarification and some additional proposed steps to resolution.  I'm getting a new device, which I'm hoping will solve, or at least minimize some of my issues.  Once I get the new device, I'll update the firmware as you suggested.  Frankly, I would much rather be able to use my device in a wifi capacity, while at the same time having it plugged in and charging - without having to find a wall outlet. :smileywink:

thanks greatly!

-aaron

0 Likes
RUn2it

I bought the 4510 because my laptop finally died and running xp and the new laptops are getting away from the expresscard slots that my Verizon 740/770 modem uses and I was told at the Verizon store there were no adaptors for expresscard to USB and I just discovered today that they've been available for years and with all the problems with this 4510 and total lack of support (support that does more than apologize for the inconvenience) I'm going to ask them to revert my service back to my EVDO rev A $60 per month UNLIMITED. This MIFI is the quirkiest piece of junk compared to the Novatel expresscard modem, drops totally random, speeds totally random, everytime I try to update firmware WITH tech on the phone I get a blue screen, when the tech writes up a "ticket" I get an email with a "ticket" number and informed they are investigating and will  be notified when the issue is resolved, I think I'd notice when it's resolved honestly. The tech that wrote it up said I should hear something in a week, that was on the 12th .... of Nov so a couple weeks ago I emailed support again with the ticket number asking what was going on and the reply was to call support again. Why would I do that, to hear more apologies and maybe get another "ticket"? When I put in my email I'm ready to cancel service and would not pay any early term fees as I haven't seen the most reliable service as advertised and the 4510 somehow eats way more data GBs, doing the same surfing habits suddenly I'm using 10 GB vs 4-5 as before, and I discover there is an adapter by Novatel for $9.99 to use my UNLIMTED use expresscard that never dropped connection, always the same speeds, as >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>just dropped connection AGAIN!  And sve the reset, pull battery, simm card, wifi stuff cause been there done that. Not the wifi, it's the net connection and sure, resetting will restart it usually, sooner or later but it's "INCONVENIENCE" when doing online banking or online merchant transaction and have to start all over. That's probably my overage use, trying to gogle a fix and doing everything twice online. YES I am ranting, thinking of all the searching, calling, email, restarting all because I believed the rep when he said there were no adapters for the expensive modem that wasn't very old, and for $9.99 all could have been avoided. The possible results are 1) revert back to prior service cost and usage (if they think about the alternatives), 2) Cancel wireless broadband and prepare for legal action if any credit report or collection efforts are made and while at it cancel cell service and home phone service and I've been a Verizon customer since they started offering service here, so long ago I can't remember. I almost feel like aborting this now,,, nah, couldn't hurt and if 1 person doesn't get a 4510 it's worth it 

0 Likes
AI_IT

Good luck reverting back to the unlimited data plan. I tried the 4510 and never saw the 4G speeds. The **bleep** thing would keep going into Dormant mode. If I'm on a VPN and RDP'd to a server there is constantly data so it shouldn't go dormant because there is always data. I luckily used my iPad data plan to test the 4510 or I would have lost the unlimited data plan. They couldn't revert my iPad plan back to the original plan and charged me $10 more a month so I cancelled it. Verizon needs to add an unlimited plan to this device or let customers with an unlimited 3G plan upgrade to an unlimited 4G plan, this would only be far since the device is always on 3G anyway. Thanks again Verizon for screwing loyal customers. {please keep your posts courteous}.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Loyalty has nothing to do with unlimited data plans on the MiFi 4510L.  Unlimited simply is not an option on 4G devices through Verizon.  4G devices are entirely new contracts on an entirely new network.  Even when the device is in 3G mode it still works totally differently behind the scenes.  Whatever you had on your old 3G contract no longer applies and cannot be rolled over unless you chose another 3G only device and contract.  Everyone has to start fresh and choose a data cap for this device.

If you are interested in troubleshooting the issues that you have noticed with your MiFi then take a look around the forum.  There should be a thread pertaining to each of the issues you mentioned so far.  You can lock your device into 4G if you are having problems connecting to it.  "Dormancy" is an ongoing issue but there are various work arounds that people have found.

0 Likes