4620L WAN dies under heavy load
n0xlf

Ahh, the price you pay for being an early adopter of this stuff...

My 4620L WAN stops passing data if it is in a good 4G area with high speeds.  Simply run a speed test and it will either die right when the tests starts, right after a test, or after just a few tests.  A reboot brings it back to life.  Surfing and general web usage that doesn't involve a steady high data stream seems to work fine as well...

The WiFi (LAN) side remains active, and nothing is logged in the system logs.  I have tried changing just about every setting there is, resetting to defaults, etc...

Is there a beta firmware that might address this issue?

I have a 4510 that I have with me and it does fine...

-Speedtest example that killed it:  http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/139705142.png

Firmware revisions:

Router FW 2.01 

AP FW 12.0-2.1.1.9

Modem FW 3.20.03

Hopefully this gets addressed soon...

0 Likes
Re: 4620L WAN dies under heavy load
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I wouldnt consider a speedtest website to be a "heavy load".  You can move much more data and stress test the MiFi by streaming a variety of content.  My benchmarking tests require simultaneously streaming music from I ❤️ radio,  HD videos from YouTube or Netflix and a live game feed from pwned.tv.  I wouldnt suggest running my stress test unless you were at the beginning of your billing cycle to avoid any overages.  You can run through 5GB of data in a few days if your not carefull.

Since the problem appears to be re-createable I would suggest bringing the device into a VZW store.  Show the sales rep the problem and let them swap the device for you under the warranty.  It might end up being a lengthy visit as they contact thier own tech support resources, but eventually they will come to the decision to start swapping hardware for you.

We do not see many problems with the 4620L so I am under the impression that there are no major issues that require a firmware update so far.  That was not the case when the 4510 was launched.  Your link mentions the Charter Speedtest website, have you tried the main http://speedtest.net site yet and compared?  Which other speedtest websites are giving you this problem?  It would be helpful to know incase anyone else has this problem.

0 Likes
n0xlf

You can only move so much data on a 4G connection.  33/9 is near the top of that...So as far as the WAN to LAN routing capabilities of the 4620L, that data rate is fairly close to a "heavy load".  The speedtest was merely to show how quickly I can get the connection to die.  Whether it's a straight up FTP transfer or any other kind of data stream, it dies, so long as the stream(s) are close to that 33/9 max that I am seeing in my current area (ironically, camping in the middle of what you would think is nowhere, but has 4G - very nice..)

I'm data cap exempt and get these devices directly from Verizon, so I can easily swap it...It just seems that this type of issue wouldn't be hardware related, but it's certainly possible.

I use the Comcast speedtest simply because it happens to have some of the best peering to VZW in my area, thus maxing out the data stream.  That same speed test is also on speedtest.net for the Denver area...Like I mentioned, don't get hung up on me using speedtest - It was just an easy way to kill it.  It dies with any fast and steady data stream...

Since I'm in what I believe to be a relatively new 4G area, I suppose it could also be something related to the tower and the 4620L - But since my 4510L works flawlessly here, I don't think that's likely...Just another thought...

0 Likes
n0xlf

This may have something to do with running it while powered using the supplied wall wart.  I left it on that overnight and woke up to a solid red light and no response at all...Had to pull the battery...

Running it now with no external power and it seems fine...If anyone has this device and can test something similar to what I was doing with it powered, that would be helpful.

Could just be something defective related to the battery/charging/etc...

0 Likes