791L current location
Adamsr2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My 791L seems to affect the current location on my Verizon Android cellphone. When I'm in a low signal area and set the phone's Wi-Fi to On it connects to the 791L.  Once it does, the current location is wrong on the phone.  If I take it out of Wi-Fi range, it corrects itself. Any ideas how I correct this on either the phone or the Jet  Pack?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: 791L current location
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Any ideas how I correct this on either the phone or the Jet  Pack?

Do not connect your phone to your Jetpacks WiFi.  You should be able to modify the wireless profile on your phone to the Jetpack to be Manual instead of Automatic.  A VZW Jetpack is going to have the same service as a Verizon phone, there shouldn't be any advantages of connecting these two devices together when coverage is the concern.  If you ever want the Jetpack to connect to the phone then manually do so instead of letting the phone decide for you.

0 Likes
Adamsr2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well sometimes there is an advantage to have the phone connected to my JetPack Wi-Fi. We camp in poor coverage areas.  I have an expensive signal booster. I keep my JetPack connected to the booster. Then my Wi-Fi works better and does a better job sending my synchronized email to my cell phone.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>I keep my JetPack connected to the booster

This info was left out of your initial post.  Your Jetpack would have an advantage over another VZW phone in the same coverage area.  This is assuming the booster cannot connect to the phone through a cradle or some other adapter.

> Then my Wi-Fi works better and does a better job sending my synchronized email to my cell phone.

I can see why you may think this.  However some clarification may be needed.  The WiFi coming from the Jetpack is not the same as the cellular service that your Jetpack is picking up from the booster.  WiFi is only providing a local connection between the phone and Jetpack, and a relatively weak WiFi connection in regards to range.  Its the cellular service that is providing you with the WWAN/internet connection that allows your phone to eventually access its synchronized email application.

Lets get back to the original question now that we have more context to work with

>Any ideas how I correct this on either the phone or the JetPack?

The Jetpack is picking up its GPS from the local towers as is your phone when allowed to use its normal cellular connection.  The booster is the only difference between the two devices so I'd suspect that device has some impact on the problem.  A quick experiment would be to temporarily disable the booster and see if the current location corrects itself or not.  If it doesn't then we know the problem is isolated to the Jetpack and its current settings.

Another thought would be to perform a reset on your Jetpack.  If the Jetpack is holding onto any kind of settings from its normal environment a reset would force it to reconnect and update that info in the new location.

I took a look at the User Manual:

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Userguides/hotspot-vz-jetpack-ac791l-...

On page 49 I found a feature called GPS over WiFi.  You could try disabling this feature if it is somehow interfering.

0 Likes