890L Jetpack doing dormant
william_dropdeadmoney

I just received an 890 Jetpack to replace my DSL. However, it goes dormant in less than 15 minutes, requiring us to manually reconnect each device to the Jetpack each and every time, after having to totally power down the unit and turning it back on.

Technical Support says the device goes dormant in 8-15 minutes if nothing happens. The tech said it as if that's just the way it is and there's nothing anybody can do about it. Well, if I'm reading a blog post, or even typing this forum entry, no data moves over the network until I click "Submit." I can't do a manual reconnect every time I'm ready to submit something - that is just crazy.

If what the tech said is true, this is a serious design flaw. Conceptually the Jetpack is a terrific idea and I'd love to use it as a constant replacement for my landline internet connection. When it works, it works great.

But nobody can use it if

(a) the device goes dormant after such a short window,

(b) you then have to walk to the unit, power it down and turn it back on again, and

(c) you need to manually reconnect every computer in your house to it all over again.

(d) walk back to the unit to make sure it has connected (it doesn't do that 100% of the time)

An ordeal like this every 10-20 minutes wipes out the reason for having it in the first place.

If the device truly was designed like that, Verizon will have almost every single unit returned. I just can't believe that Verizon would have accepted something with such a serious flaw, so something else must be up.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? Is it the network? Should I use my 4G LTE iPad as the hotspot instead?

0 Likes
Re: 890L Jetpack doing dormant
william_dropdeadmoney

I forgot to add - I'm in the metro Denver area (zip 80232), so network coverage ought not to be the issue.

0 Likes
beandawg
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of Verizon's 4g device's just plain (edited to comply with VZW Community ToS) All of them........................................................

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
sinkjo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a 890L that was doing the same thing when I received it. I took it to the store and they gave me a new SIM card and since then I have not had that issue.   It is worth a try.

william_dropdeadmoney

I discovered that my iPad can serve as a hotspot. I got a new SIM card for the iPad and it's now doing what the Jetpack couldn't. the Jetpack is being returned. 

Too bad. The Jetpack a concept that, when debugged, can bring Verizon a ton of business...

0 Likes