Another Network Extender Problem
Disneylander

I have had a Network Extender hooked up for two weeks now and have not been able to connect to Verizon.  All I get is the SYS light alternating between solid and blinking red and the GPS light solid red.  The cat5 patch cable is a good one connected to our home network (DSL) as it works fine with my lap top.  The extender is in an upstairs window with a view of the southwest sky.  NOTE: My Garmin Nuvi works great from the same location.  Verizon has been no help.  I called them a week and a half ago and they wrote out a problem ticket.  Because I hadn't heard from them since, I called them today and was told that the tech department closed the ticket on March 31 because they thought my problem coincided with one of their numerous outages.  Any body have any suggestions?

Don

0 Likes
Re: Another Network Extender Problem
bkllc

The GPS lock issue would be the first one I'd deal with... under the little sliding door on the top is there a removeble antenna module in there? Unseat and seat it... If its missing thats a problem. Using an extention cord take the whole unit outside, it should lock onto a signal in a few minutes. If that works try a new location inside or use the antenna extender. If it doesn't lockin return it...

This morning, before I returned mine the sys light flashed or remained red, must be a system outage, yesterday it was fine. There are some router issues which might cause a problem for the unit but it should just work. Is your router set to provide DHCP addresses? Try putting the unit in the DMZ of the router once you know its IP address (from router status page).

Does the Network Extender show up on your My Verizon cell phone account? Should be under my devices and then on the left. If not when they sold it to you it didn't get registered on their system, call tech support.

My experiance is that the back end, virtually unreachable people close calls, without really talking to anyone, a lot.... Verizon has great front end people but when they write up a ticket that is often the last you'll hear from them... 48-72 hours after ticket right up before a potential call or resolution is ridiculious, they should be able to escalate in real time. The front end people have no tools when it comes to the Network Extender.

This is a potentially great product that they've obviously invested a lot of money in but its that final 5% of functionality that kills it.

Brian

0 Likes
dewey

Check your router setting.  No where does Veriszon tell you that you have to have DHCP enabled in order for the network extender to be able to obtain an ip address on your system.  I too had the solid red GPS light and tried a number of location for the GPS reciever.  Nothing worked, even after talking to Verizon tech support.  After enabling DHCP on the router, and repowering the network extender, the GPS light turned blue, there was network activity indicated on the WAN light, and the Sys light started blinking for 20-30 minutes before turning blue.  Looks like mine is finally working.

0 Likes
Disneylander

Router setting was OK, but the unit itself was bad.  In disgust I took it back to the local Verizon store and exchanged it.  The new one locked onto a GPS signal in less than 5 minutes.  In fact the extender locked onto Verizon about the same time.  Four blue lights…finally!

I’ll have to hold my wild, unbridled enthusiasm for a while, though.  Seems we are having difficulty calling our home’s land-line with the cell phones or vice versa.  Don’t know what this is about yet.  What’s happening, is nothing.  When I call the home phone from the cell, the home phone rings, but when answered, there is no voice.  There is no voice going in either direction.

Don

0 Likes
BlueDevil
Had the same GPS issue initially with mine.  The unit wasn't bad.  Problem is the MAC ID had not been properly registered into the verizon network when they scanned it at purchase time.  Just have them scan the box again.
0 Likes
taz
Enthusiast - Level 2
Have the check the mac address on the back of the unit with there records. I had the same problem and they found the wrong mac number was entered into there system. Therefore it wouldn't connect to the satellite.
0 Likes
ColdnFrosty

"Therefore it wouldn't connect to the satellite."

It actually doesn't connect to the satellite, rather the Verizon network. The box receives signals from the GPS constellation only for the purpose of establishing the position of the box. The box does not send anything to the satellite. The position is used for 911, Verizon covergae area, and I heard that it might be necessary for the CDMA technology. 

0 Likes