Any news on increasing 5GB usage limits
CoxSM

Has anyone heard any news on when ridiculously low, outdated 5GB usage limit will be raised?

What's the use of going to a 4G network around the corner when you bump the limit so quickly.

I have to closely watch my usage for fear of mortgaging my house for my mobile broadband overage :smileyhappy:

Seriously though,  it's still much better than the awful satellite Internet I was using.

Thx,

Steve 

0 Likes
Re: Any news on increasing 5GB usage limits
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
agreed, the 5GB cap is onerous.
0 Likes
ulfj

I agree 5gig is to low,altho I don't go over this limit being thats it's crazy expensive if you do,I pay my bill in full each and every month,but when I have my son on weekends (and in the summer more often) he has homework to do and other "legit" projects to do for school and his extra credit papers and whatnot,some of this is data heavy research (ie youtube,and a bit of steaming video) which will make 5gig go by  very quickly.At $60/month we should be able to have more data to use as DSL (not available here) and I find myself using my landlords ISP (hughesnet) just to get simple things done for my sons homework.

Nevermind that I'm in a area where my data card isn't supposed to work but got it to operate reasonably well,we are on a major travel route in and out of a world class resort area but verizon appeareintly has no plans to upgrade the cell site even though most folks here use their service.Comon Verizon even thogh I won't switch to another provider, even though they say they will supply our area with both cell service and data service.

0 Likes
purpleviking
Amen, 5gb is just not enough in this age of everything coming over the internet.  5gb is like 3 HD tv shows on Hulu.
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

This was a new post from Verizon. . . .

"and whether Verizon really loosens the restrictions when it arrives is anybody's guess. Verizon already imposes a 5GB monthly consumption cap (with steep overages) on network use -- and it's unlikely that will disappear with added bandwidth. Historically, once in place, profitable restrictions usually stay in place because they're as much about control as they are network capacity."

Dont see that disappear anytime soon...

From an article entitled...

"Verizon App Store To Block Bandwidth-Intensive Apps
Welcome to Verizon's version of an open, mobile 'Net"

0 Likes
minimickey
I have the 5 GB plan but only use around 50 mb because I use wifi hotspots to access instead of always using the Verizon card built into the netbook.  At home I just access my home network from Time Warner.  Is this your home based desktop you are using Verison Broadband access with?
0 Likes
Baldcypress

I'm probably like some others, using mobile broadband for a home based system because it is the better of only two options, the other being Hughes satellite. Rural location, no cable available, wired telephone only supports dialup (at less than full dialup speed), no DSL. At least I can get mobile broadband here, because in some areas satellite is the only option. If you're in a rural area well away from major roads, there aren't cell towers.

I'm about at the end of my first month of service, and I've found I have to be very diligent about my usage to stay under the 5 GB limit. I have to limit my access to videos dramatically and be cautious of installing software updates, which can be huge. Using something like netflix instant movies (which I used to do regularly with DSL) is absolutely out of the question.

On the otherhand, relatives that live down the road has no problem staying under the usage limit. They are essentially complete neophytes to computers, so they haven't been exposed to everything you can do. But that won't last long.

0 Likes
minimickey
Well good luck, I must admit I forgot you rural folks.  Maybe someday the government will get wifi run through all the power lines so you can access broadband by using a power outlet anywhere.  Its not impossible and has been tried in some cities.  Hopefully technology will focus on widening their coverage so everyone had the best access available to them.
0 Likes
poetrydiva

Well, my husband and I were using our Alltel air card that unfortunately got switched to VZW.  We are still under our unlimited wireless plan that we got through Alltel but our connection sucks now.  It's as bad as dial-up most of the time, so we switched to Sprint.  We live on a major highway and Sprint has 3 towers in less than a 10 mile radius of us and 2 of those are less than a mile away.  That is why we were able to get such good coverage when we were with Alltel.  Sprint had a signed contract to lease their towers to Alltel so we were using both Alltel and Sprint towers, but VZW has not seen sense enough to do the same thing and according to CSRs they have no plan to.

Also, I checked our session logs for the past month and even with my web classes, email, facebook, and my husband's online gaming, we barely use 1 GB in a month so we should be able to handle the 5 GB cap that Sprint has very well.  We don't use Internet Explorer so we never have to worry about downloading those freaking huge updates, and if I ever need to, I can go to the college and download the updated version to my flash drive and then transfer it to our computers that way.

Verizon does not understand that the majority of their customer base uses the wireless broadband cards to access the internet from home.  Like another poster said, where we live there is no DSL and no cable internet and the satellite internet is horrible compared to the wireless broadband.  Prior to wireless, our only option was dial-up.

0 Likes