Anyone considering a class action suit yet?
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe Verizon is intentionally adding data usage to my Jetpak. I started out with only a 4 Gig plan and as the months went by I noticed I was get closer and closer to going over so I upped it to 6. Then as the months went by I had to up it to 8, then 10, now I am up to 12. But it doesn't matter if I am at home or not I still use increasing amounts of data. so I started tracking my usage and sure enough it doesn't matter what I do I use all 12 Gigs. I believe they monitor your usage and slowing add data until you go over then offer you, very nicely I might add, if you would like to add 2 Gigs to your plan.

Yesterday I was so angry I called them in the AM. I got a supervisor on the line and really vented my frustration about this.

Guess what? My usage for the 12 hour period from 4 pm to 4 am, after I accused them of stealing data, dropped to about 30% of similar 12 hour periods and I did not do anything different. Coincidence? I think not.

I have read enough complaints on the support forums from other people with the same problem to believe it is done intentionally. So you be the judge.

My contract is up in 3 weeks (except for the new jetpack I have) The guy at the store lied to me when I got it. I told him I did not want it added to my plan if it affected my contract. He said it would not. Well he did not exactly lie, it only started its own new contract. I will probably switch carriers in 3 weeks and pay the early termination fee because I am so disgusted with this service.

Why can you get unlimited data on a phone but not on a jetpack?

Unfortunately I cannot get Comcast or any other cable internet service where I live so I am forced to accept these inflated fees for less service. With Comcast I could watch a thousand Gigabytes of movies every month with no additional charges.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone considering a class action suit yet?
Not applicable

A) Verizon is not "adding data".

B) No you can't file a class action.

C) Even if you could to file a class action you have to have a lot more than one plaintiff. Just YOU doesn't make a class action.

D) Even if you could and did file a class action a lawsuit it would take years, and if you won be appealed by Verizon and finally settled for next to nothing while the lawyers getting most of the money. So what is the point?

0 Likes
Not applicable

No class actions per decision of the US Supreme Court.

But you can bring a single right of action in a small claims or superior court.

Good Luck

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually after speaking to someone who works in the industry I have learned that yes Verizon can add data usage to my bill. It is done through hacking. Someone is streaming data and making it look like it is going to my IP, or anyone else for that matter. It probably isn't the company itself but an employee or someone who has access. It is simply another form of identity theft. I figure that is entirely possible and I think Verizon doesn't really care as long as I pay my bill. There are enough complaints on these forums of this kind of problem where I am convinced something is going on. I KNOW I have not been using that much data. I was hardly home for a month and still used 10 Gigs. Regardless it is ridiculous how much is being charged for this compared to cable. Believe me if I had any way to get cable I would ditch this or any other wireless service in a second. How fortunate for Verizon the Supreme Court has ruled Class action suits can't be filed.

0 Likes
Not applicable

funny I never encountered this. actually fortunate for you. See to bring a case you have to have PROOF. Courts really like that.  You have none.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try searching the forums for data overcharges or anything pertaining to people being ripped off on their data charges and I think you will find plenty but I am sure you already know that.

It doesn't matter though. As soon as my contract is up I will be looking at other options. I will not give this company any more of my money if I can avoid it. It isn't the only issue I have with Verizon. When I got my second Jetpack, I have one for my invalid Mother in Law, the sales person assured me there would be no change in my contract and no obligations to keep it active. He lied. It started a new contract. There are other issues as well. My phones worked fine the first few months we had them here. Now I cannot make or receive calls unless I drive a mile up the road to higher ground. I guess the hills grew. Of course they want me to buy a network extender for $250 even though the coverage map says the phones should work fine here. They do not. It's just one thing after another. I went into the Verizon store to see if I upgraded to Smartphones things would work better. They wanted to sell me a Galaxy for a few hundred bucks. I stopped in Best Buy and saw they also did Verizon there. They said I could upgrade to the same Galaxy for FREE. I'm glad I didn't though considering what is going on now. Let's see how my Data usage goes over the next couple weeks.

0 Likes