Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Anyone else on 4G LTE seeing fairly high packet loss recently?
Twohothardware

For the past week or two I've been noticing quite a bit of packet loss when I run a ping test against 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or Yahoo. Each time I run the ping test for 250-500 pings and the packet loss is consistently around 3-5% which is high. Verizon just upgraded the tower in my area to 4G LTE around 3-4 weeks ago and so far my speeds have been pretty great (20-35 Mbps) and my signal is strong without fluctuation (-67 dBi, SINR 20-30) so it's just the packet loss that I'm dealing with.

The first week of being on the 4G LTE I ran a few quick ping tests against Google while setting up my 4G antenna and didn't notice any packet loss but maybe I just didn't run the tests long enough. I've tried pinging a few other servers like 4.2.2.2 (Verizon DNS) and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) and I'm seeing like maybe one dropped packet in 500 pings which is only a .2% packet loss which is a huge difference from results I get pinging Google and Yahoo.

Anyone else noticing packet loss on your 4G LTE connection? I've already opened a ticket with Verizon but I don't know if they'll do anything about it since they like to just tag my location as a marginal coverage area and not look into issues when I report them.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else on 4G LTE seeing fairly high packet loss recently?
Ctlsmith

I have as well. I am in Jacksonville, FL and notice when I put my phone into hotspot mode that any machine attached to it will suffer between 6-10% packet loss. It happens in spurts- at first when I connect it is perfect. 60ms pings to www.google.com and barely 1-2 lost packets in the first 5-10 minutes. Then all of a suddenly the whole thing just goes to pot. At first it starts losing a few packets... then it starts losing a BUNCH of packets. Then it gets so bad I start going from the "Request timed out" message to it being "Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination net unreachable.". This continues for several minutes and then it returns to semi-normality. So a few minutes working, a few minutes not. It's pretty unbearable. Smiley Sad

The really frustrating part is seeing AT&T users right next to me with almost 0% packet loss ;_; In the end, I usually have to connect to their phone to do any browsing, since mine simply doesn't allow me to do even the simplest of internet navigation when it gets like that.

0 Likes