Can SCH-LC11 be used attached to power source on regular basis?
Danny13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased an SCH-LC11 for use in my home as a DSL replacement (the Best Buy guys were happy to sell it to me for this purpose), but it has been a frustrating experience so far.

My device drops Internet connectivity on a regular basis; it drops one computer when there is activity on a second in the house (I am aware of the five machine limit and am not hitting that); and while normally very very fast, will sometimes drop to a crawl (Verizon wouldn't be throttling me, would they?)

My question here isn't about throttling, it is about running the unit attached to the power supply.  The manual says it will run this way, but I notice the unit gets very hot as I keep it plugged in all the time.   Are there any known issues with this?  Might the power/heat be contributing to the flaky behavior, or is that behavior likely unrelated?

0 Likes
Re: Can SCH-LC11 be used attached to power source on regular basis?
Mtemer

I dropped service with this device for similar problems that you had.  However, I ask if you ever found a solution?  I am thinking of reactivating to use this device at our small church which needs internet connectivity but has budget constraints.  Thanks if you have further information.

Mike

0 Likes
Re: Can SCH-LC11 be used attached to power source on regular basis?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

All Jetpacks are prone to performance problems when left powered on and connected.  They are not intended to be a replacement for a home network or modem which is designed to be powered on all day.  While the Jetpack is technically designed to handle being powered on all day, I do not advise it. 

Jetpacks are primarily designed to be a travel device.  They are small, light weight and designed to be powered on for a short period of time.  Frequent reboots are often necessary to keep the connection fresh which is not ideal for a home or stationary use.

If you are looking for something to be a primary internet connection replacement then look into something like a 4G LTE router, USB Modem + CradlePoint/Pepwave router or VZW HomeFusion.  Those products have better hardware and will perform better when left on all day long.   Granted they will still be susceptible to the usual wireless problems, but overheating and power issues should not be one of them.

0 Likes