Can't get on the internet
Sgthusk
Have had my Samsung sch-lc11 for about a week now. It works great with my IPad and my wife and kids laptops. As a matter of fact I'm using it with the Ipad right now. Today I tried for the first time to use it with my laptop. The laptop connects to the wifi, but can't access the net. The message says, "This computer is connected to Verizon SCH-LC11 aa3f Secure but does not have access to the Internet." What have I missed? Some setting somewhere on the computer maybe? The computer is running Windows Vista 64 bit. (the computers that work are all running Windows 7). Could it have a problem with Vista? Please help!
0 Likes
Re: Can't get on the internet
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

What is your IP address when you get this error message?

Does the IP address of your WinVista computer match the IP Address of your Samsung device?  You might be rececieving an invalid IP which is restricting you from browsing on the internet.

0 Likes
Sgthusk
I'm not even sure how to find the IP addresses. I'll try to find out.
Should the IP addresses match?
0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sgthusk wrote:
I'm not even sure how to find the IP addresses. I'll try to find out.
Should the IP addresses match?

To look up your IP Address:

1. Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard

2. Enter "cmd" and click the OK button

3. Type "ipconfig" in the black window and hit Enter

4. Review and record your IP Address for your Wireless Network Connection

Finding the IP Address on a WinVista and Win7 computer is the same.  To find the IPAddress of your Wireless device repeat steps 1-3 on one of your computers that is successfully connected.  Review and record what the "Default Gateway" is, this is what your Samsung device's IP Address is.

Here is a link with an similar but alternative way to open up IPConfig:

http://oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/vista

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1
3. Type "ipconfig" in the black window and hit Enter

4. Review and record your IP Address for your Wireless Network Connection

Make note of the "Default Gateway" in ipconfig as well.

Stare and compare with the same information on one of the devices that is working.

Compare when you are working connected elsewhere verses the failing attempt on the laptop to MiFi.

If the ip address is 169.something, you have failed to get a DHCP address from the MiFi.

I think only 5 devices are allowed connection at once.  You listed several.

I have some notes that apply only to WinVista:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try with the laptop plugged in to a power outlet.
Some "battery saver" modes don't work properly on WiFi.

=================================

start-run cmd
        ipconfig /release
        ipconfig /renew

Right click on the Wireless systray icon, status, support, Repair

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
"Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers"

--

Clarence

0 Likes
Sgthusk
If I'm looking at this right the computer ip is 127.0.0 and the Samsung is 192.168.
I did manage to get it on the net. I still have vzaccess manager on the laptop from when I tethered my blackberry. I used it to connect through the Samsung hotspot. Wander if it would work right if I remove the vzaccess manager?
Maybe I'll just use the vzaccess to access the net or try the link from Microsoft it looks like that could the problem.
0 Likes
Sgthusk
Now it's working like it should! Don't know what vzaccess did but now the comp hooks up on it's own without vzaccess. When I used vzaccess it opened the window to set up either a trusted home network or a public network. That had not happened before. Anyway it works the way it should now. Not sure exactly what the fix was but it works.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

A 127.0.0.x IP Address is normally assigned to a machine that is not connected to a network.  You were more than likely not connected to your Samsung device for one reason or another.

If it happens again then try to delete and re-enter your wireless password:

1. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center

2. Click the Manage Wireless Networks link in the upper left hand corner

3. Highlight your Samsung SSID in the list and click Remove

4. Test connecting to the Samsung again like you normally would

5. When you are prompted, enter your wireless password

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

Sgthusk wrote:
If I'm looking at this right the computer ip is 127.0.0 and the Samsung is 192.168.
I did manage to get it on the net. I still have vzaccess manager on the laptop from when I tethered my blackberry. I used it to connect through the Samsung hotspot. Wander if it would work right if I remove the vzaccess manager?
Maybe I'll just use the vzaccess to access the net or try the link from Microsoft it looks like that could the problem.

ipconfig should never return 127.0.0.1

That is always the localhost, and is not shown in ipconfig, unless someone set it in the TCP properties for the adapter, which wouldn't have been a good thing to do.

VZAccess Manager probably performed the equivalent of a right-click "repair" on the adapter.

--

Clarence

0 Likes