Can't make or receive calls or texts in extended network area.
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been unable to make or receive calls in the extended network area since arriving here 3 weeks ago. Using a Droid Bionic. Spent an hour with tech support to no avail. purchased a warranted used phone and moved sim card to it. Still no luck. Drove a hundred miles to a verizon service area yesterday and the phone worked fine from there.

I live in zip code 79834 for 3 months every year and this is the first time I've experienced this problem. I use a Wilson booster in 79834 and get 4 bars. No booster needed for strong extended network signal in nearby 79852 but no luck there either.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't make or receive calls or texts in extended network area.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dr_Fill - We want to offer you great service in as many locations as possible! Upon review the area no longer offers coverage under our network or the Extended Network. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another development: This morning I was able to dial out and connect with *611. Still unable to call out to a regular number. 😞

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dr_Fill - We want to offer you great service in as many locations as possible! Upon review the area no longer offers coverage under our network or the Extended Network. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply but I just made a call from my neighbors Verizon cell phone here in  79834. The Alpine, TX Verizon retailer didn't tell mention that when I called this morning. Told me to try *228. I told him Verizon Tech support told me not to do that. I'm sooo confused. 😞

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phone says I'm in an extended network. "network type and strength: 1X= -85dBm" showing 4 bars.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dr_Fill wrote:

Told me to try *228. I told him Verizon Tech support told me not to do that. I'm sooo confused. 😞

If you are using a Bionic or any other 4G phone, you do not dial *228 to update your Preferred Roaming List ... that is handled automatically by the phone's SIM card.  To force an update, you can turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, wait a few minutes, then replace the SIM card, turn the phone back on, and allow a few minutes for it to re-establish a connection.

However, as noted by the Verizon rep, if you check the Verizon coverage map, there isn't any coverage in area code 79834.  I've no explanation as to why your neighbor's phone works.

America's Most Reliable Network | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. The sim card removal/replacement is helpful info. As I said earlier, I've been using a Verizon phone here for years. Despite what the Verizon map has shown for years the Verizon Retailer in Alpine TX can confirm an extended network signal and service here. I've been surveying Verizon using visitors to the park for 3 weeks now and none are having problems when they can find a signal which is usually in an area with line of sight to Terlingua (79852). Fortunately my cell phone need is not critical. I have a local use land line and internet. However, I pay Verizon $100 a month and the the more inaccurate answers I get the more determined I am to find a true answer. I guess I'll try contacting the owners of the local cell towers next.