Can't send e-mails on mifi with mac.mail
colehme

My mifi works fine on roadrunner with eudora and mobile me but will not work with Apple mail.

Is there a solution to this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Can't send e-mails on mifi with mac.mail
Tidbits
Legend

Are you using @Mac account?   Are you using TLS or SSL?

0 Likes
colehme

When a use my @mac.com all is ok. When I use my Roadrunner account....my primary e-mail... I can't send mail.

Road runner does not use SSL.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am confused.  There are 2 types of Apple mail that I can remember still in use.

@Mac, and @me.  Which one are you using that isn't working for sending?

0 Likes
colehme

Ok, sorry for the confusion.

My e-mail service provider is roadrunner.

I use Eudora on my PC computers as the mail program.

I use Mail as the Mail programl on my Mac.

When I use Mail on my Mac, I can send e-mails using the MiFi if I use my @mac.com or my @me.com addresses.

They are interchangable.

If I send from my roadrunner address (the primary address I use every day) I am unable to send.

Hope that clears up the confusion!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's a roadrunner issue.  They do not like people sending email through their SMTP server without actually connected to their servers(In order to send you will need to be on wifi connected to a roadrunner service).

0 Likes
colehme

thanks..doesn't seem fair

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Their reasoning behind it is IF your account is ever compromised your account won't be used as SPAM senders, and flood the network. It would also drive up the costs for them to buy bandwidth to accomidate their customers if something like that happens and would increase the cost of their internet service.

0 Likes
colehme

I appreciate your explanation but it seems most other service providers have figured out how to work around the problem for their customers. That restriction may force me to change providers.....a pain.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

colehme wrote:

I appreciate your explanation but it seems most other service providers have figured out how to work around the problem for their customers. That restriction may force me to change providers.....a pain.  Thanks!

They don't care at all.  If you ever get into legal trouble for that spam then it's on you, but at least Time Warner is making it harder for you to be liable.  If something like that does happen then it's on TW than it is on you.
The way around it is to use a proxy server.  AT&T and T-Mobile has one, but I am unsure of Verizon or Sprint.  You may have to call CC to find out if they have one.
0 Likes