Carrying the Mifi - Possible Heating/Microwave concern
jplanillium

I did my first "field test" of the Mifi 4510L with no complaints about the device performance with respect to signal reception and connection speed.

Instead, I have a concern about the heat that the device produces.

During this field test I placed the MiFi 4510L in my left cargo pocket.

I noticed that on my left leg (the side closest to the cargo pocket containing the mifi) was feeling considerably warmer than usual.

I took the MiFi out of my pocket for inspection - the MiFi was cool to the touch.

This rules out the possibility of the heat being waste heat - something that can be expected from electronic devices.

I placed the MiFi back into my pocket and noticed the warming effect again.

This led me to believe that the WiFi signal itself (2.4GHz - Microwave) is causing the heating effect.

Whats more convincing is that the heating is felt through the clothing via radiation as opposed to conduction (direct contact with the device).

In short then, how should the MiFi be placed in order to prevent one from being "microwaved" by this device?

Is it advisiable to not wear/carry the device on oneself?

If one is to carry/wear the devcie would it be advisable to place a sheet of conductive material (aluminum foil) with a coverage area at least the size of the MiFi on the side facing the body in order to prevent the WiFi signal from going into oneself?

0 Likes
Re: Carrying the Mifi - Possible Heating/Microwave concern
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

jplanillium wrote:

I did my first "field test" of the Mifi 4510L with no complaints about the device performance with respect to signal reception and connection speed.

Instead, I have a concern about the heat that the device produces.

During this field test I placed the MiFi 4510L in my left cargo pocket.

I noticed that on my left leg (the side closest to the cargo pocket containing the mifi) was feeling considerably warmer than usual.

I took the MiFi out of my pocket for inspection - the MiFi was cool to the touch.

This rules out the possibility of the heat being waste heat - something that can be expected from electronic devices.

I placed the MiFi back into my pocket and noticed the warming effect again.

This led me to believe that the WiFi signal itself (2.4GHz - Microwave) is causing the heating effect.

Whats more convincing is that the heating is felt through the clothing via radiation as opposed to conduction (direct contact with the device).

In short then, how should the MiFi be placed in order to prevent one from being "microwaved" by this device?

Is it advisiable to not wear/carry the device on oneself?

If one is to carry/wear the devcie would it be advisable to place a sheet of conductive material (aluminum foil) with a coverage area at least the size of the MiFi on the side facing the body in order to prevent the WiFi signal from going into oneself?

Hi!

I have reviewed the manufacturer's materials for any information on proper placement of the device while in use. The manufacturer does not state that the device may not be usable while in close proximity to the human body. While I applaud your troubleshooting of this concern, I cannot agree that the warmth you’re experiencing is the result of microwave activity. However, I share your concern about the behavior you’ve described. My recommendation would be to have the device reviewed by a member of our team. I would be happy to help with that.

0 Likes