Connect MiFi with access point?
billybow

Is there any way to connect the Mifi with an access point or other wireless router to have better coverage inside my house?  The built in antenna in the Mifi does not cover my entire house, I have 2 laptops, plus my iphone and my desktop in the basement, I have to take the mifi with me to each room.  So I was thinking if there was a device to use that I could plug it into and then it be able to cover more of my house.  This is my only option of internet since I live in the middle of nowhere!  Also whats up with the 5gb limit, that really STINKS! No more Hulu!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

BB

0 Likes
Re: Connect MiFi with access point?
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
Unfortunately there's no way to extend coverage.  The rated radius is 30 feet.  I've gotten more than 100 feet in some circumstances, but typically between 25-40 feet in a typical home.
0 Likes
DaveMertz

Although it rather defeats the purpose of having a wireless router in the MiFi, when at home you could connect the MiFi to your desktop machine by USB, then share that connection via a separate wireless router.  I use this method because my desktop machine has no wireless interface (and I already had a separate wireless router connected.

Apparently there are wireless routers out there (I think the NETGEAR MBR624GU is one, although it doen't list the MiFi 2200 as a supported device) that have a USB interface for 3G modems, but I have never used one.  Perhaps one of those would work and eliminate the need to have your desktop machine in the middle.  You could also consider a wireless range extender/expander.

Dave

Message Edited by DaveMertz on 08-01-2009 03:36 PM
0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1
You can get wireless range extenders from all of the major WiFi access point manufacturers. They are essentially access points that connect back to the primary router via WiFi. I use one with my FIOS router. Never tried it with the MiFi, but it should work.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
I could be wrong, but to my knowledge extenders have  a limited number of products each works with.  I'm not sure if any on the market are suitable for use with a mifi.  If anyone has a link or direct knowledge, please chime in!
0 Likes
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

with their most recent firmware releases, the entire line of Cradlepoint cellular routers officially support the MiFi 2200.

the MBR1000 will give you the most range since it is a WiFi "N" router and has three WiFi antennas.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

dave1812 wrote:
I could be wrong, but to my knowledge extenders have  a limited number of products each works with.  I'm not sure if any on the market are suitable for use with a mifi.  If anyone has a link or direct knowledge, please chime in!

Extenders are designed to work with the manufacturer's access point for automatic setup, but with a little work they can work with any router. I am using a Linksys with a VerizonActiontec router. I had to connect it to a wired port to configure it, but once configured it works fine.

0 Likes