Connecting a desktop computer to the Internet via the Mobile Hotspot?
phoenix007

Hello,

I've looked at the other postings about this but I'm still not having any luck....and I'm not really sure who to call for tech support.

I can connect my laptop to the Hotspot just fine. The desktop computer is another story.

I bought a Medialink wireless adapter and installed it per the provided directions BUT the connection says that is local only. How do I fix that?

I don't know for sure a local connection only doesn't allow me to actually connect to the Internet, right? I currently also have AT&T Internet with a router so is that complicating things? I'm going to drop the AT&T soon but I'd like to have this figured out first.

What do I need to do?

I have absolutely no idea.....

THANK YOU!

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a desktop computer to the Internet via the Mobile Hotspot?
budone
Legend

To use that router doesnt the hotspot need to be hardwired to it first? Then that unit would send the signal out.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a desktop computer to the Internet via the Mobile Hotspot?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

A local only connection means you are connected to the device, but the device is not letting you onto the internet.  I'd bet that you have a bogus IP Address and your hotspot has not fully authenticated you to use its internet.

Make sure you are disconnected from all networks, reboot the computer and hotspot, then try connecting again.  Make sure you are entering the correct credentials to connect to the hotspot.

Chances are good that the wireless adapter that you are using is the problem here.  If you were going to contact a support number I would start with them.  There might be another way to configure it to play nicely with the Hotspot.  Report back to us if you need more help configuring the hotspot.  We will need to know the specific model number so that we can provide you with specific steps.

0 Likes