Connecting older laptop to MiFi 2200
dadwteens

I've got an older laptop (Sony Vaio) that I'd like to let the kids use as another option.

It has a Linksys Wireless B adaptor that correctly identifies our MiFi 2200 network.

However, when I go to connect, it notes that the network has WEP encryption enabled and asks for either:

-Passphrase (16 characters or fewer)

-WEP Key

When I enter the MiFi password in the passphrase box, unknown codes rotate and fill the WEP key box, but no connection is established.

I've also tried entering the password in the WEP key box, but that is obviously not what it is looking for.

How can I find a WEP key to pass the encryption? 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Connecting older laptop to MiFi 2200
bbruere

Linksys has an absolutely awesome Customer Service Center.  They are very patient and have helped me out of several jams I have gotten in.

You can find your WEP encryption code by going into the Administrative part of your router. 

But, it's really much easier to call Linksys and have them walk you through it.  Then, if your connection doesn't work, they will help you troubleshoot until it does work.

Good luck!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Have you set up your MiFi yet?  If not you have to connect the MiFi to your computer via USB and do the initial setup and connection.  Once this is done then you should be able to connect to it via your Wireless Adapter.

0 Likes
dadwteens

The older laptop operating system wouldn't accept the software setup.  However, I was able to rest security settings on the MiFi via my other computer to allow access using a WEP key.  Thanks for trying to help.

0 Likes
dadwteens

Linksys customer service was very attentive until they determined that my adapter was "out of warranty."  However, their online support was still helpful.

Was able to revise my MiFi security settings using my other computer to allow the older laptop to access using a WEP key.  Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Likes