Considering the SCH-LC11 or 4150L
seberry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone - just a quick question:

I am considering adding a device to my account for the purpose of turning my car into a wi-fi hotspot. Which of these devices can be constantly left plugged in? I am aware that they come with USB chargers, which I am planning on connecting to an available powered usb port in my car, but I have had a 3g hotspot in the past that would absolutelty not even power on when connected this way.

Thank you all in advance!

Steven

0 Likes
Re: Considering the SCH-LC11 or 4150L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

The MiFi 4510L can be left plugged in and turned on all day from a car charger.  This device comes with a default power setting to shutdown after 30 minutes of no activity but you can configure around it. 

However, I do not recommend leaving your device turned on and plugged into a car all day long for performance and maintenance reasons.  Cars can get very hot when left unattended and a MiFi sitting on your dash or console would be roasted in no time.  It is much better to shut the device down and store it  when you are away from your car.  When you come back then power it up and start browsing.  The Boot up/down process normally takes a few seconds with these devices.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since I managed to get my 4150L upgraded to the 2.23 firmware, I've been quite happy with it. Not so with previous firmware, so the only thing I'll add to the question of choice is that if you do go with a 4150L, make sure it's running the latest firmware. If it isn't, DO NOT attempt to use the Mac OS X firmware update tool - it will brick your device. Either use Windows or take it to a Verizon store and have them do it.

0 Likes
jrwilk1

I guess I'll piggy back on this post.....which unit is better or recoomended. Unlike the OP I want one for regular use at home and to use on the road sometimes. It is importantfor it to not not go to sleep and easliy reconect. At home i'll use all 5 ports.

Also anyone using a mifi wan router for enternet wired connections?

Thoughts?

Thanks

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I would not recommend either device for home use when a cable/DSL ISP is available.  These are mobile devices and are not ideal for an Always-On/unlimited connection like you would be familiar with at home.  Both devices have thier share of defects/issues as you can find in the forums.  The deal breaker for me was that the Samsung had early issues with blocked VPN connections.  Not sure if those have been cleared up yet or not.  I'd recommend the MiFi.

If you want to add ethernet cable connections to your MiFi then I suggest the Pepwave Surf.  A few of us have had discussions on this device and it appears to provide all the features that are needed.

Pepwave Surf:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/Mi-Fi-and-a-router/m-p/697493/highlight/true#M4877

0 Likes
jrwilk1

I currently have DSL, which was running perfectly until the cut the cable over a year ago. The challenge is the noise live on the line now has degraded my signal to 200-300 Kbps and add to that I'm a the end of their line.

Oh and I live 3 miles out of town too........

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Heres what I would do,

Start off with the MiFi.  Bring it home and beat it up for a few days.  Leave it on, browse around, stream a video, etc.  If you have any problems try to get them resolved immediately on the phone.  Should there be any lasting issues after 7 days then return it under the 14 day return policy.  At that time you can swap your MiFi out for the Samsung and see if it performs better.  Again, return your device after 13 days for any outstanding issues.  That way you reduce the chance of being dinged with early termination/restocking fees. 

0 Likes
jrwilk1

Imn trying the samsung as well speak and is working fairly well. I don't like not knowing the signal strenght and when i'm using it, i'm telling it to not to shut off. Thus far working ok?

Actually when I decide, I think i'll buy one off ebay/best buy that is refurbed and pay as I go and not the 2 year agreement.

The software on this samdsumg says it is ec31...is the that the latest firmware?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

It looks like the most recent firmware for the Samsung device is 1.0.019. 

Your firmware version must be listed somewhere else.  Check around the admin page and see if you can pull up any statistics or diagnostics that might reveal the firmware number.

0 Likes
jrwilk1

Yea it lists it as EC31 (version)

0 Likes