Crazy pricing - issue not 5GB or $60, it is paradigm itself
dvejr

What other business sells you a set amount  of service or product in advance for a fixed price, keeps the change if you actually use less, and surcharges you if you want more?

Can you imagine a grocery store pricing like this?  A dry cleaner?  (Sorry sir, I know you only brought in 2 suits this month instead of 4, but we keep the difference.  Oh, next month you'll need 5 suits dry cleaned?  There will be a penalty charge for that.)

This is a price system used nowhere else.  My point here isn't how expensive, or not, each GB is, and it isn't whether 5GB is sufficient for anyone.  The point is, why doesn't  Verizon want to just set a price per MB or GB and tell me what it is?  If I use 4, charge me for 4. If I use 6, charge me for 6.

dvejr

0 Likes
Re: Crazy pricing - issue not 5GB or $60, it is paradigm itself
Not applicable

With a finite amount of capacity, they can make more money with the pricing model they use.

0 Likes
RanchGeek

I share your frustration, but unfortunately until there is some competitive reason for any of the providers to change....or maybe a technical solution (ala hughesnet FAP bandwidth throttling) to address "power" users, this is what they stick us with.   With multi-year contracts, it also dilutes the consumer's ability to vote with their $$.  Insidious, isn't it!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

jimfitzgerald wrote:

With a finite amount of capacity, they can make more money with the pricing model they use.

You hit it right on the nose, Jim. 

We won't start seeing usage-based pricing until LTE becomes available. 

0 Likes
MambaFace

They also have to recoup the cost of the equipment itself, although $60 per month for 5GB does seem kinda...out there, to me.

0 Likes