Data Usage
maxima

I just purchased a Fivespot (mifi) and it works great.  However, since my family uses the internet on a daily basis, I'm watching the data usage closely until I know that we won't exceed the 5GB limitation.  I've noticed that the usage report indicates I've used between 30-80MB at times when I'm not using the internet (between 1-6AM).  I've gone through all of my programs on my computer and disabled the "auto updates" but still getting this overnight data usage. 

Can anyone tell me if there is a more detailed usage report available from Verizon that would tell me the URL or IP address of the data usage (so that I can learn the culprit)?  Since this wireless network isn't central to one computer, a firewall program on the computer won't solve the problem or answer the question.

Please help - Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
rcschnoor
Legend

I don't know much about the mifi, but isn't there a way to turn it off? Seems like that would be a pretty easy way to stop unwanted data usage.

Is the data usage showing "real time"? I know with smart phones that the data usage numbers on My Verizon normally take a day or two to show up. Could this be what is happening?

0 Likes
jmathermiller

I also have erroneous data flow over my MIFI at very odd hours and Verizon Tech support won't divulge what web sites or vendors are using my data allotment.  This is absurd.  How can they say I am using data when I am not using data to my knowledge and tell me they won't tell me what data I'm transferring at 3 o'clock in the morning.  

If they are going to charge for data usage, they should have to specify what data pack was sent to whom upon request.  The most logical solution is to provide a monitoring tool that logs data transfer events.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

jmathermiller wrote:

I also have erroneous data flow over my MIFI at very odd hours and Verizon Tech support won't divulge what web sites or vendors are using my data allotment.  This is absurd.  How can they say I am using data when I am not using data to my knowledge and tell me they won't tell me what data I'm transferring at 3 o'clock in the morning.  

If they are going to charge for data usage, they should have to specify what data pack was sent to whom upon request.  The most logical solution is to provide a monitoring tool that logs data transfer events.

Verizon as a common carrier should not be tracking where your data are going, which is why they can't tell you. They are just transporting packets to an Internet backbone. There has been a problem with Verizon and other carriers where they record more data than your computer or smartphone has recorded as transported. This is a major discussion among iPhone users who get billed for more data than the phone records, and some have filed complaints with the FCC.

There are tools that will track your usage such as Wireshark. The personal version that runs on your computer is free; the professional versions are quite expensive.

The MiFi itself also records the amount of data sent in its logs and admin app. Have you compared the MiFi's numbers with what Verizon reports?

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would think the best thing to do is turn it off. But you might computers or cell phones that upgrade themselves at a certain time each night. My laptop was factory set to check for upgrades at 2:00am once a month.  I know some cell phones will auto upgrade too.  But if you turn the mifi off I don't see how it'll download anything.

0 Likes