Do I need to change password on MiFi 4510L for security?
myungwol

I read some reports on older Verizon MiFi devices that were easily hacked if you use the given SSID and password from Verizon.

Are the given SSID and password by Verizon for the 4510L also easily hacked or did Verizon fix things?

0 Likes
Re: Do I need to change password on MiFi 4510L for security?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The newer MiFi 4510L devices are no more secure than the original.  They all implement a custom SSID and Wireless Password.  The MiFi 4510L's also come with WPA2 as the default security mode.  If a given hacker knows how to crack WPA2 security then you will never be safe.

As Jim stated it is a good security habbit to change your SSID and Wireless Password to a unique value as soon as you get it.  The default information is posted on the back of these devices so anyone could happen to glance over your shoulder and write it down.  However, the unique SSID and Wireless Password is no more techincally strong/safe than the defaults that come with the device.

Strong Passwords and SSID's include the following:

- Mixture of digits, letters and symbols

- Atleast one capital

- Non-dictionary words

- 8 characters in length or more

- Non personal information (no address, employer or names)

Ex. R3dV1k1ng-01

0 Likes
Re: Do I need to change password on MiFi 4510L for security?
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

I would change it, items to consider when changing a password:

1. Do you have any windows xp machines?  (windows xp only likes WEP security)

2. Are you going to be using WIFI as WAN type devices?  WIFI as WAN likes security to have TKIP and not AES, AES comes by default on Verizon Wireless Devices.

3. Will any PS3, XBOX, Nintendo, Tablets, PDA be connecting?  Again some of those might not work with all the security.

When in doubt use WPA Personal TKIP

0 Likes