Download Surprise - Thanks Microsoft!
sschriber

I had 4 days to go in my month and 1.5gbs left on my 5GB plan.  My heaviest  use days are in the 250 mb range so I thought I was good.  I checked yesterday and I had blown by the limit by 100mbs with 2 days left.  I use a USB 760 with a cradle pint as a home network since August and haven't topped 4gb before.  After pulling my modem from the cradlepoint (sorry kids, no internet till Friday) I checked my home computer and surprise! Microsoft Works has (without permission) magically appeared on  my desktop at a price of 730-odd mbs of download.  Has anyone experienced or heard of this?  I don't even know who to complain to.  In this world of cable and dsl unlimited downloads, it's those of us who are geographically challenged and only have wireless or satellite internet access with download limits that seem to be forgotten...

0 Likes
Re: Download Surprise - Thanks Microsoft!
Not applicable
I'm almost certain Microsoft Works is not going to download to your computer unless someone using the computer request it. Now, if Microsoft Works was already on the computer, it could be possible that it is set to allow automatic updates.
0 Likes
sschriber

Sorry for the lack of details.  This is a new desktop that hadn't been connected to the internet for any extended time until this past weekend when I finally got the log -in right with a new usb adapter.  After that  it may have been left on and alone for extended periods. There may have been some resident bloatware app on this Acer computer, but geez...

0 Likes
Not applicable
So, the problem is not with Microsoft at all.
0 Likes
sschriber

It is a problem that Microsoft will download a 700 mb update without first checking with me that it is alright to do so....

0 Likes
Not applicable
They don't. Somewhere along the way, with your new computer, you OK'd it.
0 Likes
sschriber

I'm sure you are right, but my problems continue...  I have had almost 2gbs of usage already in the 1st 4 days of the month and I don't know how to stop the hemorrhaging aside from pulling the modem out of the router...  Is there a way to have your computer stop any downloads larger than a certain size until specific permission is given to continue?

0 Likes