Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack
jetpack_overage
Enthusiast - Level 2

On 5/6/2014 in a 4 hour time frame My Verizon Jetpack MIFI4620L used 25.59 Gigabytes of Data. Spoke with customer service regarding the overages 15.00 per GB which increased my bill to 375.00 in overages alone (including last months cycle)

Verizon refuses to accept responsibility for these excessive overages and is forcing me to pay the bill. After speaking with my IT friend about this he stated that my connection speed is not even fast enough to use this much data in such a short time frame, making it impossible that we used this much data.

I hope others with this same issue please post on this site and all social media as well. Have been a Verizon customer for 2 years and Verizon can look up my Data usage over this time frame and see we consistently use  6-8 GB per month, and this huge spike in data usage should be a huge red flag.

Have been happy with the jetpack up to this date. I hope Verizon will make this right and keep me as a customer. Right now we are researching other options for internet service.

#PowerfulAnswers

Re: Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jetpack_overage,

I am sorry to hear about the excessive data usage on the jetpack that caused overage. We would love to get to the bottom of this usage. During the time frame that your jetpack used the 25.59 GB of data was it connected to a device (computer, cellphone, etc.)? Also, were you able to view the usage online via your My Verizon account? View usage>Choose drop down for bill cycle date. Has the jetpacks data usage decreased again?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jetpack_overage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have spoke with your customer support team regarding this. Encourage all potential Jet Pack Customers to read the blogs on this site. It is NOT an isolated incident. Others having the same troubles. Also very sure many others who have not posted have had troubles too.

Yes there was units connected and has been over the past 2 years. Yes I viewed the usage on My Verizon account after the fact. Received 9 email notifications 15 minutes apart for every GB the account went over. I was sleeping when this happened. Will be checking my usage and calling in today to try and make payment arrangements AGAIN. 375.00 was not in my budget and pretty sure nobody is going to pay that sort of rate.

Facts are Verizon has 2 years of DATA for my account. A spike in Data usage over a period of Hours should be enough FACTS for your company to Credit My Account. There is some kind of leak or security breach with the Verizon Jet Pack. Buyers Beware you will be held accountable for DATA you can prove you did not use! The Verizon account does not trace IP address (at least they do not show that to us)

The right thing to do is Credit My account for this!Is anyone else noticed high data usage on their wifi jet pack@

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm pleased to hear you were able to work with us by phone. We want to make sure you have the right plan to meet your usage needs and make sure your account is billing accurately. We would be happy to complete a further review. Please follow and DM us.

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

jetpack_overage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your Kind Reply! We are on the correct plan! If our MI-FI Jet Pack used 1GB an hour all the time we would consider a T1 line. I am just an average Homeowner and we have used 6-10GB per month for 2 years now. Pull up our bills and you can see too!

The Fact there is some unresolved issue with the Verizon Jet Pack using excessive amounts of Data in a short period of still remains to proved. Very Confident Verizon has the ability to fix this. They choose not too! The Fact Verizon chooses not to Credit there customers accounts when these issues arise amazes me.The Verizon Jet Pack has some kind of security breach or something beyond my knowledge. I hate to overstate the obvious here but Verizon Jet Pack using 25GB in one evening is alot of data. Especially when we were sleeping through most of the time frame. Read these blogs and see we are not the only ones.

I would be happy to follow up with this as a Happy Customer for the past 2 years. At This time Verizon has not issued any credits or followed up with me any more than your response. We are at risk of doing business in the future at this time. My cell phone number is 269-325-1714

Thank You

Brett Walker

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information jetpack_overage! We can only access your account if you send us a direct message. Please follow me (I'm already following you), then send me a direct message and we'll review your account for accuracy. Additionally, please delete or edit your previous message as it includes your phone number and it is on a public forum.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
JoanieP

My data issue isn't quite as bad as yours but it is still frustrating and infuriating.  We have been using about 7-8 gigs of data per month which was consistent with our data usage when we were with Sprint.  Until just over half way through our 4th month our data spiked to 8.5 gigs in 4 days.  We had only used about 4 gig in the first 17 days of our billing cycle, so an average month.   Verizon did an investigation and said it was all normal use and their wasn't anything they could do about it until after our bill was issued.  This is crazy!  They said is was our fault because we left the jetpack on all the time and the just pack must have been doing up dates.  My daughter turned on the jet pack for less than 30 minutes to check emails and blogs for her college class and used over half a gig.  If this isn't resolved to my satisfaction, I'll eat the early disconnect fee and ditch Verizon.  I'd rather pay more with a satellite internet provider than be duped by a bunch of scoundrels.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JoanieP,

We definitely do not want to lose you as a member of the VZW family. I understand how unexpected data usage can be infuriating. Have you had a chance to take a deep dive into the usage history details of your jetpack on your My Verizon account for the time spans the excessive amount of data was used? If so did it show the usage was constant or was there multiple connections that led to high usage? We can take a deep dive into this usage. Please private message me so I can review your account.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Budrovilla

I'm having the same problem. Customer Support sent me a new sim card and explained that it could be the problem. A few days after I replaced the card, I checked my account and found that there had been a second line added with a different number. That line used 6G in 8 days. When I called to complain I was transferred to someone in fraud who insisted that I had ordered another Jet Pack and now was using both at the same time, even though my account showed there had been no orders placed and there were no shipping or tracking records. I was able to temporarily suspend the new number while fraud was investigating the matter, however, I was still using 3G overnight while we were sleeping. After several days of constant calling, being transferred and getting disconnected, I got someone who recognized part of the problem and hopefully corrected it. I also got someone to credit part of the overages and adjust my bill. I do not believe that the excessive use of data issue is resolved. I'm hoping that the new device I'm getting will eliminate the problem.

0 Likes
appleannie

I am having the same problem!!!!!!!  My jet pack is still sucking data.  I spoke with someone at Verizon customer support who credited me data time.  Of course, when my bill came it was a lost conversation.  $105.00 in overages!!!!  I spent an hour with a "customer service" (joke) rep before talking to a "supervisor".  He was very rude and had no intention of trying to resolve this issue.  He had no notes from my original conversation but notes from a conversation a few days later which was different from my original notes.  I suggested that maybe I need to record future conversations. I was told I was NOT ALLOWED!!!  However, they can record me.  When I asked for a transcript of  previous conversations, I was told to HIRE AN ATTORNEY who could SUBPOENA the transcript! 

The worst part is now I am stuck with a contract for a jet pack that is a scam.  Thinking I had the problem resolved, I let the 14 day trial period expire.

0 Likes