Re: Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I researched past months usage. The overage is not something we did.

For now the only option is to turn off the jet pack as it is obviously not functioning correct

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the save issue. Over 50GB!!! Totally incorrect

0 Likes
getting_robbed
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did a quick search on the forums, and there are many threads that are locked/closed with a lot of people with the same complaint - excessive data usage using the Jetpack for usage habits that have not changed.  This is not a new issue, and it appears to still be an issue for many, myself included.

The jetpack is my home internet service.  There are 3 users in the house.  There is no music streaming, no gaming, and certainly no video downloading except for the 5 minute or less YouTube clip a few times a month.  We constantly bump into our 15 GB per month limit.

I've read that 30 minutes of video should cost only 440 MB (http://wandrlymagazine.com/article/little-details/what-to-expect-from-the-internet/).  It seems I get charged quite a bit more.  An hour of surfing/shopping racks up hundreds of Megs.  I once had 4.5 GB of usage in a few hour span! 

I've banged my head against the wall several times with Verizon Tech Support.  All they can say is that the usage is real, and they suggest it may be due to software updates!!  Ridiculous.  Can someone share some good usage-tracking software, and does anyone know of any law suits addressing this practice?  It amounts to theft. 

CaptRoyWILDERNESS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am very glad to see that I am not alone in this problem.  Without going into the details of my overcharges (>$400 this month, alone), Verizon has refused to address my issues and claims I am "using" this data.  The only way I can control the hemorrhage is to turn on and shut off the Jetpack whenever I go on line.  I sincerely hope that someone can report this issue to the FCC or whoever regulates this traffic.  I think Verizon will only address this problem after being hit with a significant fine and a class action law suit.  Shame on Verizon, and shame on those who work for them, concealing this issue to gain unearned money from folks who are simply trying to communicate. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CaptRoyWILDERNESS, We surely want to address your data usage concerns. It's truly disheartening to learn that you feel as though we are unwilling to help. Which model Jetpack do you have with us? How much data are you  typically using per month? Have you had the opportunity to review your data usage online via your My Verizon account? Please share details so we can help in getting to the bottom of this for you.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
CaptRoyWILDERNESS
Enthusiast - Level 2

You've just gotta love the training the Verizon folks get. Please notice how each of their responses to this same complaint are couched in caring language, so soothing, so reminiscent of the words my Verizon salesman told me just before having me purchase the latest JetPack and dropping my data plan from 15 gigs to ten:  "Let's see if we can save you some money". Verizon, I simply don't believe you anymore, but, I have no options so I'm out of luck.  All I can do is use the JetPack in a most inconvenient manner, and tell anyone who will hear me what I think of "Customer Service", an oxymoron if you think about it.  If you truly cared, you would call the San Diego Sports Arena store and ask them if they are familiar with me.  I have spent over eight hours in the last couple months standing there trying to get some relief, only to have them switch units, order new units, lose those ordered units, then start losing my calls when I complained.  You have all the info necessary to correct this issue for me (and for all of the unfortunates who are clearly out there sharing this preposterous device).  But, it is far easier to respond in a delicate and kindly manner than to actually correct the issue.  Besides, what would accounting say when they experience the huge drop in revenue incurred by correcting this issue?  And those poor sales associates who lose their bonuses by not being able to "upgrade" or "save us some money"? No, Verizon, I don't trust you anymore.  I can only hope that some eager attorney gets ahold of this issue and skins one of your corporate VPs.  But that's all that is going to happen.  The real solution is to offer a communications program that meets the needs of the customer.  That doesn't pay as much as selling them a product that quietly and steadily racks up data charges that were unintended or uncontrollable.  It's a real electronic parasite that bleeds the customer and fattens the corporation and its less than caring minions.  Shame on you!

0 Likes
Sickofcharges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I guess I'm stuck for paying for over $400 in charges. Verizon is saying the overages of over 60 gb's last month are my problem.  Complaining to the FCC did nothing but get me a call from Verizon's Executive Center in Arizona. She asked me the same old questions about what devices I had connected, what I did on the internet, etc.  Said maybe I have a computer virus. I said if I can prove usage is from a virus, would they credit my account for all the overages.........NO, is the answer.  So I am just stuck with the charges!!! I am mad, sick to my stomach, frustrated!!!!!  The lady said,in so many words, that I should be grateful for the $150 credit they gave me.  I should mention that was given a replacement device free of charge. I immediately changed the password on the device after hooking it up. Data was o.k. for a few hours, then, it gradually started showing more and more data being used up.  We only check email, use facebook, occasionally do some online shopping. We aren't gamers or movie watchers!! Needless to say, I don't know how I will ever come up with all this money to pay for all these charges.  My husband told the lady we are willing to pay for what are bill has normally averaged prior to all the overages. She said we are responsible for the overages. My husband said we won't pay it, she told him they will put us in a collection agency!! This is the most ridiculous thing we have ever had to deal with!!

CaptRoyWILDERNESS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, so this is the standard response by Verizon. One that is intended to quip the complaints by threat. Here is what I have discovered. One, disconnect the cellphones from the JetPack. They automatically convert yor calls to data charges. The salesman at Verizon ultimately explained this to me. You won't find out about it otherwise since it is a great cash cow for Verizon. Two, get in the habit of powering the Jet Pack OFF when you have completed a session on the computer, and turning it on only when needing access to the Internet. Again, this is not explained by the kind and sincere folks at Verizon. Third, make sure you don't use the Jetpack to connect your computer to a third party data storage or backup service. It will eat you alive. After doing ttiese steps I am back to having control of the excess charges. Zero thanks to Verizon. We can only hope that the wonderful folks in Washington, whose lobbies pay them from the Verizon accounts, will someday develop a conscience, provide the consumer with actual protection, and provide usable services to the American people. Now that I have you rolling on the floor, pay your bill and look for a cheaper access to the internet than Verizon.

-

Sickofcharges <forums@verizonwireless.com> wrote:

Sickofcharges created the discussion

"Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1207346#1207346

>

0 Likes
rvnmaniac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well enough was enough for me. After 23 months of no overage problems what so ever. Then the last month of my 2 year contract all of a sudden overage issues. Complained then the overage problem all of a sudden stopped. then the next month here we go again. Bottom line i'm switching to AT&T.. ADIOS Verizon.....

MMFR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pretty apparent there is an inside conflict with VZW. The problem will continue to repeat itself with data overages, maybe they should man up and admit the glitch and recall their faulty equipment or they will begin to lose contracts which is what's about to happen.