Re: Excessive Data Overages on Verizon Jetpack
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are concerned for your concern and we don't want you to leave at all, rvnmaniac. Our customer service number is 800.922.0204.
I will also reach out to you via Direct Message.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

i have called Verizon multiple times. there is no way we used over 50GB of data. we averaged .98GB over the last 5 months.

this is a serious problem.

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have spoken to multiple reps with Verizon. There is no reason for my spikes (11GB a day)

No one helps

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you reach out to me? I have been getting nowhere for weeks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As long as you have devices connected to the MiFi  jetpack there is always a risk that those devices will consume data behind the scenes without your knowledge.  This is how network connected devices work, they are constantly "in use" while connected.  Computers, smart phones and any kind of internet connected devices are constantly backing up content, looking for updates and talking to other network devices.  It has nothing to do with your active participation and all internet communication is held against you on your data plan.

The only way to completely stop data usage is to turn off your MiFi jetpack when it is not needed.  This is a common safe practice that you should start using when on a metered data plan.  MiFis are not intended to be left on 24x7 . Frequent reboots will help ensure the device stays in proper working order and increase the longevity of its life.

Verizon does provide everyone with a data log.  The data log will provide you with time stamps and the amounts that are consumed at those times.  It should be easy to see when your biggest spikes of consumption are.  Isolate what devices are online during those times and what may have been going on and you can start to build a picture of where the problem lies.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tamara,

I am aware of all you stated above. However, can you seriously tell me that our iphones backing up or apps working in the background uses 50GB a month?

The past 5 months our data in total has been under 20GB for ALL lines (2 iphones, ipad and Jet Pack). This month the Jet Pack is 50GB? We do not stream movies or music. There is nothing conncted to the Jet Pack other than our iphones when we are at home. No computer is connected. When we use the ipad we shut it off after.

Sickofcharges
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on a 18gb plan & it has soared to over 50gb for the month of December!!  Verizon is no help in figuring out how all this data is being used!  I changed the password as they had recommended and the data is still soaring.  I've file complaints w/ the FCC and BBB.  I don't know what else to do!  They did offer me a reduced amount of $284 to pay instead of the over $500 bill that I have now......I did NOT accept the "deal".  I should be paying for my regular bill of $120.  How can I get this resolved?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sickofcharges,

We want to make sure that we get to the bottom of these data charges. How many devices do you have connected to the jetpack? Do you shut the jetpack off when you are not using it? Have there been any software updates done recently on any of your devices while connected to wifi?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sickofcharges
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 1 desktop computer, 1 laptop, 1 printer.  Take in mind, my devices are hardly ever connected to the hotspot all at one time.  NOTHING has changed in usage this month, NOTHING!  The verizon supervisor tried saying the extra gb may have to do w/ company at xmas time.  NObody else was at my home but the same people; my husband and I and our children.  Look at my usage since I've been w/ Verizon!!  Also, take note that I have consistently had to raise my gb because Verizon says I'm using up what I normally pay for.......this has been going on since I've signed up with you! The supervisor the other day told me to change my password, so I did that I & still the gb are out of control.  As I write this, the gb are at 60.85!!!!!  This is a serious security or rip-off issue that Verizon has!!  This is not a customer problem, it's Verizon's Company that has a problem and either can't figure out what is happening so they blame it on their customers or it's just Verizon's way of making some extra money at their customer's expense!  I don't want to play "let's make a deal" w/ Verizon on this bill!  I am willing to pay for charges for gb I ACTUALLY used, though.  I am even willing to pay for an average of my last 3-6 months bills (not including this one of course!).   We have been shutting down, as in turning the hotspot/jetpack button to OFF and we have ALWAYS disconnected from our internet when it's not in use.   Who do I contact at verizon that will take this matter seriously?? I need to talk to someone NOW.

Lisa R.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Sickofcharges,

I'd like to get to the bottom of this! Have you cross-referenced the data details on My Verizon to see the data connections? I would suggest doing that, and comparing them to previous months. This way you can see if anyone at the house has used the services when you were not aware. You can check this on http://vz.to/1ixGsPW

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes