Extender/Signal Booster problem in Chicago on high floor
mm53
Enthusiast - Level 2

53rd floor,  60611 zip.  Bought brand new extender due to constant dropped calls on all 3 iPhones (1-2 bars at home, 4-5 outside) and set it up according to directions (connected to router, connected to power supply and plugged in, located right next to window). The power and WAN lights are blue. The system light is blinking red and the GPS is solid red. I waited over an hour, set it up again and again, tried GPS extension. Same problem. Our internet is fast and has always worked well. We have RCN cable/internet/landline bundle. Arris modem and Linksys E2500 router. I'm wondering whether the issue is being on a high floor.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extender/Signal Booster problem in Chicago on high floor
Snn5
Legend

It's kinda the same way as DirecTV...southwest-facing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The GPS location can take a looooong time.  I have seen reports of 5 min to 2-3 hours.

Weth
Legend

Just open the window and go out on a ledge Smiley Happy

With a skyscraper and other skyscrapers around, you will have limited view of the sky. It may take a while for 3 satellites to be visible in the available view to above to get a GPS lock.

Snn5
Legend

I also find that one must take into consideration the Earth's rotation and the satellites' orbit and the times that they align at your coordinates.

0 Likes
mm53
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reconnected the extender yesterday afternoon and awoke this morning to find similar problem. System light still blinking but GPS is solid magenta.

0 Likes
mm53
Enthusiast - Level 2

That would pose an even greater problem as I do not have a ledge!  The extender is right next to the window which has a clear view of the lake and the sky and is above other buildings in the surrounding area. When I am in the lobby of our building I have 4-5 bars.

A salesperson at the Verizon store and one at Best Buy told me that Verizon sends its signals from the ground up, while AT&T sends them from above to below. Not sure what to think.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

And GPS uses satellites that are in the sky.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I am going well beyond my level of expertise now, but here is a thought. Below is a map of the orbits of the GPS satellites. You need to have at least 3 in view for a lock. Since you are in Chicago, looking at the lake, that means you are looking North, correct? Based on this map, there is not much of a orbit window north of Chicago and it may be quite difficult to get 3 in view pointing north. Anyone else more in this field to call crap on my interpretation?

I do know that when I am in Chicago, the higher up in the building, the worse my Verizon signal gets. At the very top of Hancock tower we had a business event, barely had any signal to send all my pics.

Snn5
Legend

So yeah, lots of factors play into the GPS location issue: 

tower/GPS/satellite/trajectory/angle/time of day/spin of Earth's axis/tilt of the Earth in relation to heavenly bodies/what your cat ate for dinner/humidity/seasons and other less contributing factors I'm sure.

0 Likes
mm53
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, very impressive research. I am actually facing east, I will try moving the extender to a south location and see what happens. I would be happy just to get a signal for my husband's phone; he works from home and his cell is his "business line."