Extender questions
midlife

New here and have a few questions about network extenders.

We live in an area that gets very marginal service. We can hold calls we're on all the way into our driveway but lose them within the walls of our house.  Sometimes we can receive texts  inside but not always (seems to depend on either the weather or probably on the amount of traffic on whatever tower we are closest to). We can get either the tower icon or that + one bar from an upstairs bedroom about 80% of the time. Some phones can receive calls in the house but can't hold them. Nobody seems to be able to make calls here, no matter what phone or provider they have.

SO.......... we're thinking Verizon's network extender might be a solution except for the $250 price tag.  Here are our questions:

1.  Given the above info, should the extender work?  (If there are times when we get no service at all, how could the extender work?)

2.  I notice that the extender requires a 'syncing' to each phone.

a. will phones synch through walls and floors inside a home, or do you have to bring the phone to where the extender is located?

b. does each phone have to be 'synced' every time you take it out of the house and then come back home?

3.  Is Verizon going to take this thing back if it doesn't provide what we consider service worth the cost?

Thanks all.

0 Likes
Re: Extender questions
mrsizer

We had the same problem, so we purchased a network extender. My husband and I both have the same phones. His works but mine doesn't. My husband has had continuous service, including phone calls, no static, no cutting in and out, and no dropped calls. He is also able to access the internet with no problem. Unlike me, my phone will not stay connected to the extender, I am lucky if I have full bars and 3G, and my phone freezes when I try to send a text message. This is very stressful and frustrating, as the only communication I have with my children (as you know kids these days) is by cell phone.  I have made several phone calls to Verizon and have sent several e-mails. This has gone on now for 2 months now. They try to blame instead of fix the problem. I do believe that it has nothing to do with the network extender itself, as my husband has had absolutely no problems. Just remember that not only do you have the cost of purchasing the extender, but you also need a strong internet connection to boot and you might also want a land line with long distance to use as a back-up.

0 Likes
midlife

Thanks for the reply. What about syncing  phones to the extender. Does it have to be done every time you bring it into the house and will it synch through walls or floors?

0 Likes
mrsizer

Well, that's where I'm having a problem. For some reason, every time I leave the house and come back in my phone is disconnected from the extender and it takes me forever to reconnect to it. Sometimes it just disconnects while I am in the house for no apparent reason. My husband's phone on the other hand has never disconnected from the extender. He leaves for work and comes home and his phone is working fine. Odd, but true. For the past 2 months I have been on the phone with Verizon and have sent several e-mails regarding my phone not staying connected to the extender. From router compatibility to quality service to download and uploads speeds to troubleshooting tests, to no avail, finally, last night Verizon offers to send me a refurbished phone. Which of course I am not willing to accept. I have dealt with them on prior occasions regarding refurbished phones and when I spend money on a brand new phone and something goes wrong with it, no fault of my own, I should expect a brand new phone in return, not a refurbished one.

You do realize that the network extender is only good for phone calls right. It has nothing to do with internet or text messaging or any other application you might have on your phone. So that is another thing to think about. As for as through the walls, etc., the answer is yes, as long as you are in range with the extender you will always have phone service, that is, if your connected and the extender is working properly. Make sure if you do get the extender that under your My Verizon account, that all phones used in your house are added to your white list (some term Verizon uses). When you purchase the extender it is registered with your account, go to My Services at the top of the Verizon page, double click on it, your network extender information will show up, click on manage and list the phone numbers of all persons in your house (cell phones only), and make sure you have the box checked (2nd box) for priority and not open access.

Good luck!! Need any other information, feel free to ask.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Your Verizon Wireless phone must be within 15 feet* of the device in order to establish an initial connection and register with the Network Extender network.  

Once you have connected to the Network Extender network, you can move within a broader coverage area (40 feet from the Network Extender or up to a 5,000 square foot area). You simply make and receive calls as usual as long as you stay within the Network Extender coverage area. 

If you are registered with the Network Extender and are within the Network Extender coverage area when you initiate or receive a call, your wireless phone will use the Network Extender network.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser's address bar for more information.  

http://support.vzw.com/clc/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html

0 Likes