Five Spot Network Mismatch Error on Windows 7
gmanmdg

Soooo, I have gone through 2 brand new toshiba laptops and 3 Five spot cards. The cards have been activated  and I can connect to the network via the usb cable but I cannot connect via wifi. I tried just using the windows network manager and I see the SSID but I go to enter the password and I get NETWORK password MISMATCH. Ive tried using the VZ Manager, I can see it, I enter the password,  I go to connect and I get the same thing. I CAN connect wirelessly via my mac and via my blackberry, with the SSID and that password but i cannot connect via windows 7. Any Ideas??????

0 Likes
Re: Five Spot Network Mismatch Error on Windows 7
apriljellybean
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue and was on my 3rd computer because they thought it was the computer. It would connect fine when tethered but not wirelessly. It would recognize the fivespot and I would type in password and it would say security key mismatch. I finally got someone at Verizon to stick with me and not just pass me along (I was sent back and forth between Verizon, Best Buy, and Toshiba for 3 days). Everyone knew there was a problem but no one knew how to fix it. This fix worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

Go to Start Menu

Click on Control Panel

Click on Hardware and Sounds

click on Device Manager

Click the arrow next to Network Adaptors

Right click on the wireless lan (mine was Realtek)

Click update driver software.

That should be it. I hope that is your same problem.

0 Likes
gwyant
Had the same exact problem, figured out a workaround, wrote it up here, and it's copied below for your convenience:

(The tech professional version: Connect to the WiFi hotspot on another computer. Visit 192.168.0.1 with ‘admin’ as the password and change the encryption mode to WEP. Enter a passcode, then apply. Restart the Fivespot. Connect from your device using the passcode.)

You’ll need a different computer that can successfully connect to the WiFi hotspot. I used another laptop for this, but it could be anything with a full browser — iPad, Blackberry, just whatever will connect. Go ahead and connect to the Verizon AC30 network on that device.

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser. When it asks you for a password, type ‘admin’, just like the username. Click Basic Setup at the top. On the drop-down for Encryption Mode, change it to WEP, then make up a password to fill in to Network Key 1. Click Next, then Apply. You can then close that page. Note that while using WEP mode means your network will not be open, it is not really that secure.

Next, to get the hotspot to show up correctly, I had to restart the Fivespot. Once the Verizon AC30 network shows up on your (formerly nonworking) laptop, connect and use your chosen Network Key as the password when it prompts you.

According to a very helpful Verizon employee who knew the workaround, they know about the issue, and they’re collecting details to be able to issue a firmware update to the Fivespot. Hopefully this will come soon.

0 Likes
Lauri

I had the same problem with a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop and the Verizon Fivespot.  My Compaq would sign on using the Fivespot wifi but not the Toshiba.  Several calls to Verizon, Toshiba, Best Buy & Geek Squad.  Even a trip into Best Buy's Geek Squad.  Nobody knew what the problem was.  Toshiba blamed Verizon, Verizon blamed Toshiba, Best Buy blamed my installation of the Fivespot.  Not knowing if it was a computer problem or fivespot problem Best Buy did exchange both for me for exact models...still same problem.  Today the Toshiba Tech was smart enough to search Verizon's message boards for any others complaining of same problem.  He had me download new drivers from the Toshiba web site....didn't fix the problem.  So here I am searching these boards myself.  Looked for the quickest and easiest fix first which is the one I'm replying to.  IT WORKED!   I am now for  the very 1st time using the wifi from the Fivespot to connect!  Thank-you very much for posting this.  Now someone needs to clue Verizon, Toshiba & Best Buy all in on this easy fix!  So the hero award goes to you today!!   Thank-you!

0 Likes
jgilloo

what do you do if your computer tells you that you have the most up to date network adapter?

0 Likes
VentureWireless

Just wanted to report the same issue with a client's new Toshiba laptop.  Updated the Realtek wireless adapter and was able to connect to the Fivespot just fine.  Thanks for posting the suggestion to update the adapter...

0 Likes
thesarah

I too was unable to connect to the mifi wirelessly, via usb I had no problem. I kept getting an error stating I was entering an incorrect password. I went through Control panel, then to Network Setting and it said my wireless router's drivers were update. Then I went to the Realtek website below for my router the 8185 and downloaded the latest driver. After installing and testing my mifi, it worked! I suggest everyone manually update their wireless routers first. I believe the issue with me was that my router could read WPA encrypted passwords but not WPA2. Hope this helps!

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTyp...

0 Likes