Fivespot not sending WiFi signal
Osvaldo

My Fivespot only works when it is plugged in to my computer. Once I unplug it, the "Wifi" indicator turns on however I cannot see the SSID in my Network names. I have tried 3 different computers and my phone. This is my second device the first one did the same. Has this happen to anybody? And if so how did you resolve the issue? Customer service was not able to resolve the issue. Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fivespot not sending WiFi signal
apriljellybean
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue and was on my 3rd computer because they thought it was the computer. It would connect fine when tethered but not wirelessly. It would recognize the fivespot and I would type in password and it would say security key mismatch. I finally got someone at Verizon to stick with me and not just pass me along (I was sent back and forth between Verizon, Best Buy, and Toshiba for 3 days). Everyone knew there was a problem but no one knew how to fix it. This fix worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

Go to Start Menu

Click on Control Panel

Click on Hardware and Sounds

click on Device Manager

Click the arrow next to Network Adaptors

Right click on the wireless lan (mine was Realtek)

Click update driver software.

That should be it. I hope that is your same problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KINGWESTLY

I am having the exact same problem. I have done the hard restart (press power 10 times within 15 seconds while the device is turned on), reinstalled Verizon Wireless Manager, and tried it on several computers as well as my phone. Very frustrating. I plan to call Verizon tomorrow and get this handled.

Pls post with any info you receive.

Jason

0 Likes
chamberlin

Same thing here, just got a replacement AC30 five spot device tonight (Best Buy), worked fine at the store and at home right afterwards, then later in the evening I tried it again, and now back to no WIFI connectivity: 4 green lights, but no computer, iPhone, laptop, netbook could find the WIFI SSID for the five spot... (in all, 6 different  WIFI devices were tried)...... ugghhh. And just to clarify, I also did all the reset tricks too (on the first unit I had) but I am not touching a single thing with this new one, so that I can be sure that nothing I did caused the unit to stop broadcasting the WIFI signal... What the heck is going on with these units!

0 Likes
chamberlin

Today, did a hard reset (10 postive clicks within 15 sec. with 5-spot turned on) and after reboot, the thing works again... but the sporadic WiFi connectivity is very annoying. Will continue to report back here as time goes on...

0 Likes
Osvaldo

Mine still does not work, i did the reset and still doesnt work. is this device working for anybody?

0 Likes
chamberlin

OK, last night and today I am back to no wifi again...works fine on tethered, but NO wifi device will find the five spot....reset a dozen times, took the battery out many times etc... nothing... It would be nice to know that Verizon is working on at least answering our questions, if not a firmware update...

0 Likes
walleye

i have never been able to get mine to work either.  this is extremely frustrating...

plugged, unplugged, no wifi signal at all.   someone help!    thanks.

0 Likes
TJones10

Same problem.......able to connect via tether, nothing with WiFi?  I am able to get WiFi on another laptop though, that has Windows XP - OS.  Just won't connenct on new laptop with Windows 7 - OS?  Tried to troubleshoot with Tech....nothing worked, they had me call Toshiba.....laptop maker, thinking it could be an encription issue with windows 7.  Toshiba assured me that the encription mode did not need to be changed as suggested.  5 hrs later, still no WiFi?  Back at it today...same results, tried all tricks & reboot methods?????  Hope we can find answers soon? 

0 Likes
Scichick

Hello frustrated fellow fivespot owners:  I just got this device for my dad who has suffered with dial-up for years.  I set this up for him and was so excited until I too could not get anything when using it in wifi mode.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a tech support agent from Verizon.  They have absolutely no idea what they are doing so don't waste your time.  After reading several blogs on this same issue I think I found the solution...at least mine now works.  If you are running a Windows 7 operating system and a fairly new computer, your wireless adapter on your computer is probably 802.11 b,g,n compliant.  This is the antennae that allows you to communicate to all wireless devices.  I believe it either defaults to 802.11 n or Windows 7 defaults it to 802.11 n which is the newer signal.  The Fivespot does not run wifi on 802.11 n but will run on b or g mode.  Turn on your Fivespot and make sure you are in wifi mode and all four lights are green.  Launch the VZ Access Manager and connect to your wifi device.  It will say you are connected but Windows 7 will show you your four bars and an exclamation point indicating no connection.  You have to go into the VZ Access Manager, select options, preferences (I'm doing this from memory since my dad has his computer) and then you should see a list of device types one of which will be wireless.  Click on that and you will get the option to select the mode, 802.11 b,g,n or 802.11 b or 802.11 g.  I picked g mode but it seemed to default to b mode.  Who cares.  Once I clicked OK the Windows Notification changed from an exclamation mark to an active signal within seconds and I was browsing the internet on wifi.  I even shut down both the computer and the Fivespot and started all over, launched the VZ Access, it found the Fivespot right away and connected in wifi.  I place it near a window and get all my bars along with 54Mbps speeds.  UNBELIEVABLE!  I can't believe how fast this thing is.  I'm going to go over to my dad's house and make screen shots of this procedure.  Then I'm going to send it to the **bleep** at Verizon.  HAVE Fun.

0 Likes
chamberlin

Hello Scichick, that all sounds great up until the part where you have to connect to the Five Spot via Wifi to see the wireless network settings for 802.11 b,g,n! I have 3 laptops, one main computer and an iPhone, none of which can find the FIve Spot wifi signal anymore... As far as the computers go, I am using Vista home, Windows 7 home and Windows 7 Ultimate... I don't have any wifi XP computers anymore! Every once in a blue moon, I can get the five spot to show up (like 1 out of 25 tries) and when I do, I will try your trick, and/or log into the device using the 192.168.0.1 and see what I can find there). I was headed to Best Buy to return this thing minutes from now, so you have effectively given the 5 spot a stay of execution for now, until I can try your theory out...

thanks

0 Likes