Free SMTP service discontinued August 29 2009 - How to send email?
dianawoods

I work in a remote location and depend on my data card to send and receive email through Outlook.  I am no longer able to send.  After hours on the phone with Verizon Wireless and Road Runner (my ISP) I learned that Verizon has discontinued its free SMTP service.  This expains why  I am unable to send.  According to Verizon, Road Runner has chosen not to "open up" its email service.  While Road Runner webmail is my work around, this isn't helpful as I need to use Outlook for business reasons (contact management).

I understand there are free or low cost SMPT services out there.  I would like to try this.  Does anyone have a recommendation? 

0 Likes
Re: Free SMTP service discontinued August 29 2009 - How to send email?
semblance2004

I also travel and use (d) my Verizon service to send e-mails through my current isp, TCSN.net Now all of a sudden, Verizon has decided that support of the SMTP system is not worth it. Unless I also figure out a way to send e-mail using my current e-mail addresses, I will have to find another carrier.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I suggest you read this thread to find some alternative options for your SMTP needs.

0 Likes
loquacious6

It has taken me so much time over the last year or two to keep finding ways to send email while away from home, I could probably write a book about it. Now that Verizon has done the unthinkable, it can't really surprise anyone, can it? So, I've just spent the last two days trying to find anything that works. I've tried "Free Smtp Server" (it doesn't work if you use ChoiceMail or another Server based SPAM Software PLUS they want to sell you another product to work), I've tried "www.smtp.com" and although not free, they have an affordable "Family Plan" that won't kill anyone on price (I don't know about its compatibility), but what I finally went to was to use one of my website's Server Email. It works perfectly. I know if you don't have a website, it doesn't help you. But, if you do and haven't considered it, you should.

0 Likes
carrollmc1959

You can sign up for an account on Gmail.  Gmail has free POP/SMTP access.  You can use your account on Gmail to send e-mail from most any e-mail address, as long as you've got an account on Gmail.  I've used it before to send e-mail from my Earthlink e-mail address via Gmail's SMTP server, when I was having trouble sending it via Earthlink's SMTP server (port issue, I later found out.)

0 Likes
Groundweasle

Thanks for trapping me in a usless plan Verizon!!!!! They already charge me more than my broadband internet . Now the end the SMTP support which make my new mini useless. Forget about having to pay extra or finding another to SMTP and paying extra. Verizon needs to step up and return SMTP support . If they continue this way then I will  tranfer all my cell phones and my  wireless to ATT .  Two year  and I will be done with Verizon I dont care that they have better signal where I live. This is **bleep** I thought Verizon was a better Company than this?

0 Likes