GPL sources for UML295
DanFuhry

The Pantech UML295 USB modem is clearly based on a Linux SoC. Verizon and/or Pantech is therefore legally obligated to provide source code for GPL licensed components in use on the device.

Where may I download this code?

0 Likes
Re: GPL sources for UML295
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

No one has ever asked something like that before.  I'd contact VZW support directly and see if you can track down the code you are looking for.  If you find it then post it back here for the rest of us to share.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pantech has some legal jargon describing how their product is not covered under the GPL.

0 Likes
DanFuhry

Thanks for the info. Complying with the GPL isn't an option. The UML295 runs a slimmed down version of Android - there are references to ADB in its web interface (link only works if you have a UML295 plugged in). The Linux kernel is licensed under the GPL as are various parts of the Android Open Source Project.

They either release source code for all GPL components, or are liable for civil copyright infringement.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds good to me.  Contact VZW support directly and call them out on it.  I wouldn't expect an entry level rep to know what you are talking about but they should be able to start an incident and figure it out for you.  I'd imagine it would take a day or two for some engineer to respond with the code.

Keep us posted on your progress.

0 Likes