Gobi g Wireless Broadband Card
rknapp

I have bought a on Sony Vaio with the Gobi g card intergrated in it.

The card is assigned to Verizon with Verizon software installed

I am not a Verzon customer and want to unlock the card so I can have it set to t-mobile who also supports the Gobi g card.

Anyone know how to do this and who to contact at Verizon for help?

This is the URL for Gobi since very few I have talked to know about this new technolgy.

http://www.qctconnect.com/products/gobi.html

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gobi g Wireless Broadband Card
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm pretty sure the Gobi card in the Vaio is actually lacking a SIM card slot, which effectively makes it an EVDO device. I can only speculate but I think there may have been some type of exclusivity arrangement going on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm pretty sure the Gobi card in the Vaio is actually lacking a SIM card slot, which effectively makes it an EVDO device. I can only speculate but I think there may have been some type of exclusivity arrangement going on.
0 Likes
bmukund

Does anybody know how to even register with verizon to gain access for the WAN to work? For some reason, I keep getting device not enabled in the VZ Access Manager screen and dont see any networks enabled. Sony forums are not helping either.

As far as I can tell from the software you can get a GSM/GPRS plan globally from verizon.  

0 Likes
rknapp

Sony forums are one thing, but Sony support does not have a clue about the Gobi techology.

For that matter Verizon only knows about plans..

I paid about $2200.00 for my z690 with a powerful ability but since I am not a Verizon customer the path is pretty much closed.

The only thing I think I can do is buy a replacement card if I can find one. The technology is so new that there really is'nt much info on it.

0 Likes
bmukund

Well, I can be some help. I found out that the driver is the issue with Windows Vista. I bought the same exact vaio you did and am in the process of trying to update the drivers sufficiently to see this working. Glad to know verizon and sony have no clue before I called them.

I will keep this post updated if I make progress. right now I have only diagnosed - not fixed. 

0 Likes
rknapp

Well that is progress....

Vista is really making my life misserable.

ey

When I got the 690 I had IT downgrade to xp and partition the drive into 3 partitions, c=Vista downgrade / D =new xp install and E as a storate drive.

Come to find out, since Office small bus. 2007 was not activated in Vista, I can not get the backup discs ($475.00 retail).

So after an hour taking to Sony on chat, I am told that they will not help since I have reparttioned the drive since Sony computer can not have dual operating systems.

Now I am faced with re-activating Vista and starting completely over, or for go having backup discs of Office.

Also, come to find out IT opened the case which proabably voided my $200.00 extended warrenty.IT said that working with Vista is a mess and the only way to do the dual system was through Linx.

Boy, for a $3000.00 notebook I am challenged between Microsoft and Sony and....Verizon.

Funny thing no matter where I search on the web, I find very little on Vista solutions...mostly problems.  That is why I want it off the notebook.

I know this is not place to discussl the Sony issues, but you are the first I know who has a 690. There is very little on the web.

0 Likes