Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HELP! MiFi or JetPack
martinb833

I currently have a hotspot on my iphone, thats what I use for my internet on my mac desktop and my windows lap top. I want to change  to either a Jetpack or a MiFi. The only problem I have is that I live out in the country, not to far out but still out here. My question is what do you guys recommend? I have read both the pros and cons on both devises. My hotspot on my phone is just to slow i want something better. Thx.

0 Likes
Re: HELP! MiFi or JetPack
DRH7654

External antenna.

I live in the boondocks of Weston, Colorado 81091 six months a year and from June 2010 to June 2012 I got perfect reception with a USB 760 and external antenna that showed -66 dBM.  I live high atop a mesa with great panoramas.  I can see an AT&T cell tower from my property.

Almost exactly two years to the date my reception becomes dial-up speed. Can't watch a video, can't run Live Update for Norton Anti-Virus, can only do plain jane email stuff. I've called in at least six or seven times and reception would improve after a trouble ticket was filed, but then a week later it would go back to the slow dial-up speeds.  Last time I called in the tech service people whined about me calling in so much.  Others told me my device was two years old and needed to be replaced.

So last week I upgraded to a MiFi4620L Jetpack f3f9.  Did not improve my performance, in fact it is worse. So I called in again and still same old marginal area speak from Tech Service.  Well, I still register four bars and my -66 dBm still registers.

I am not happy with Verizon Wireless Broadband and tech service.  I suspect a cell tower problem or my access speed has been slowed by Verizon. My speed has been greatly throttled back and I only use less than 5GB a month. My plan is not unlimited.

Why would it work perfectly for two years and then all of a sudden doesn’t work perfect, even with the latest technology and my upgrade to a Jetpack? This is a VERY sparsely populated area. So I know the bandwidth is not being over burdened.

Very confused.  Please fix my problem.  Add a cell tower to this area. Or please put me out of my misery and cancel my service with NO termination fee. Please.

0 Likes
Re: HELP! MiFi or JetPack
DP6

right now I would NOT recommend a jetpack ..... Im in Houston, 3-4 bars usually..... wont complete downloads, fails speed test probibally 50% of the time, the other 40% is slower than anything I have ever seen

0 Likes