HP Mini 311-1037 BSOD when VZ Access Manager shuts down
cap999

I have an HP Mini 311-1037 netbook running windows 7, with a Verizon internal wireless card (HP un2400).   I'm having intermittent crashes (BSOD) which always happen immediately after I terminate a wireless connection and then shut down VZ access manager.   Basically, when I exit the program, the program window goes away, I see a smaller dialog box showing that the wireless card is powering down, and then the dreaded blue screen pops up.   The error message code is BUGCODE_USB_DRIVERS.  

That error message seems odd since the internal card is not a USB device.  However, when it powers up, I see a driver loading that is called "Qualcomm HS_USB_QDLoad

So far, I've had 8 of these crashes.  The event log always shows the same error message as the cause of the unexpected shutdown:  bugcheck  0x000000fe (0x00000008,0x00000004, 0x852f05d4, 0x00000000)

After the crash screen, windows tries to restart and fails.   It then offers me the option of running a startup repair. That always fails.  So then I have to do a system restore (roll back to an earlier restore point).   That works, but it totally hoses up my A/V software.  It then takes about 20 minutes to get that fixed.  On balance, a real horror show.

After the last two crashes, I discovered that if I decline to run startup repair, and just keep trying to do a normal reboot, then after the second or third try, it will start up OK without doing any repair or system recovery.  That is also hard to figure out.

HP technical support hasn't been very helpful so for. The HP support forum shows messages from a couple other owners of the same model net book who are reporting the same problem, so there may be a generic problem here.

I tried updating the wireless modem firmware, using the latest download from HP.   I was OK for 4 days, and then had 2 more crashes.

If anyone else has had this problem and solved it, please let me know how.

0 Likes
Re: HP Mini 311-1037 BSOD when VZ Access Manager shuts down
triallaw

I have had the same issue on multiple occasions.  I have not yet found a good solution.

0 Likes
misty2010

I am having the same problem. It started the second day I had the computer. I have seen other forums with the same problem. I have run all kinds of diagnostics scans updates etc. It looks like its Qualcomm causing the problem but I cannot figure out how to stop it. Has anyone come across a fix yet?

0 Likes
polgmu

It's terribly annoying. Right after the BSOD and it finishes its memory dump, I just hold down the power button till the whole thing shuts off.  I restart, and the HP Mini operates like normal.  I'm glad that it's not just me, I was worried that I got a defective machine.  I've had a BSOD at least once a week since I got it.  It's always because of the VZ Manager, especially if I don't manually disconnect first.  I've also noticed that the BSOD happens when I'm on a connection to the cellular network and not at my home WiFi spot.

0 Likes