HP Mini/Ubuntu 12.04
bcs321
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there,

So a couple days ago, my uncle's HP Mini refused to boot into Windows. White blinking cursor on a black screen, nothing else. Nothing wrong in the BIOS, no failures with the memory or hard drive tests, Windows Repair utility on a USB drive said it was repairing start up, still nothing. System restore failed. So after exhausting all possible options, I've opted to install Ubuntu 12.04, which installed flawlessly and I'm typing from right now. I can connect to WiFi successfully, but I can't nail down the correct mobile broadband settings, eg the APN, username, password, number. My uncle doesn't really know much about it, I'm assuming it came pre-configured on Windows. I took a look at the SIM card, it said Verizon/Vodafone on it if that's any help. If anyone knows anything about setting it up or just any advice that could steer me in the right direction, that would be fantastic. He believes its a 4G LTE plan.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HP Mini/Ubuntu 12.04
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You are going to have to contact VZW support to lookup the account information. Find the serial number and model number on the HP Mini and give them a call.  Once you know the credentials it should be simple to get you online using the SIM and the connection software available on Ubuntu.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You are going to have to contact VZW support to lookup the account information. Find the serial number and model number on the HP Mini and give them a call.  Once you know the credentials it should be simple to get you online using the SIM and the connection software available on Ubuntu.

lane11
Enthusiast - Level 1

What type of 4G USB modem are you using?  If the SIM card is activated, you should be able to make the connection with PPP.  See http://www.nvtl.com/support/mobile-broadband-support/support-host-platform/linux-setup-guide-cdma-de...

The phone number to use with Verizon 4G with a PPP connection is *99***3#

You can also make the connection from the command line with:

pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD*99***3#"