HUB is discontinued, we are screwed.
searchforwisdom
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had no idea the "HUB" existed until I went into verizon looking to get cell phones for me and my wife.  I was convinced by the sales clerk that the HUB was a good investment.  I bought one.

I really do like the concept of the HUB.  It is much better than a regular house phone, with all the services and information it could provide.

However, I have had nothing but problems with my HUB.  It always loses connection with my wi-fi.  When this happens I do not receive calls, cannot make calls, get no information, and the problem will never fix itself unless I restart it.  If I dont realize its not connected then I could go hours or days with no home phone and not know it.  

It also does other things like have a very poor sound quality.  Half the time it doesnt ring when receiving OR making calls.  So you call someone, and it doesnt ring.  There is simply silence while you wait for someone to answer.  That wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the fact that half the time its not even calling the person so you sit there listening to silence wondering if it is actually making a call or not.

Now that the HUB has been discontinued, we are screwed.  The only thing I was holding on to was for an updated model that had all the bugs worked out.  Or for a big fix to the operating system.  something to get all these kinks out.  Maybe some good new features that would make this all worth it.  But alas, there is now no light at the end of the tunnel.  No more real work will be put into this.  They are just going to wait for those of us who have it to die out so they can forget about this contraption.

Verizon should at least let us out of our contracts for this thing so we can at least cancel it without penalty.  I mean I signed the contract under the assumption that this technology would be continually developed, not abandoned.  

I am very disappointed in Verizon for trapping in us in a contract with the same device they have abandoned.

0 Likes
Re: HUB is discontinued, we are screwed.
drayegon

What is this the Hub is no longer working or available or what Has Verizon stopped using it. WHAT???

I looked and this has been on here since 940 am which even at PDT^ means quite a while on Oct 1 2009 so what gives here.

I am seeing that something new is being killed off at the start or is this post totally wrong?

{keep it courteous}

dray

0 Likes
searchforwisdom
Enthusiast - Level 3

My post is correct.  Here is a link to one of MANY articles on Verizons abandonment of our equipment.   Google HUB discontinued if you need more articles.     http://www.dailytech.com/Verizon+Kills+Hub+After+Eight+Months/article16394.htm

0 Likes
caaguirre

I'm so happy I found your post.  I couldn't agree with you more!  My Husband and I basically had the same exact experience  as yours. I really liked the features and I so wanted it to work, but features mean nothing if the phone itself doesn't work.   In the past 6 months since we got the HUB, we have had nothing but problems.  We had to give up our home security system, because we gave up our landline to get the HUB.  It has not functioned properly the entire time we've had it.  We've been through rounds of calls to customer service, each ending worse than the previous call.  They get flat out rude once you start talking about canceling the service.  They won't waive the early termination fee at all which seems criminal since they are not standing up to their end of the contract of providing a service that works.  What I get from every call is "you signed the contract, you agreed to the terms", so in other words, as you said, we are screwed.  Yes, I agreed to pay for a phone service and I expect it to work.  Today after a phone call with them in which I thought I may have been in the middle of a nervous breakdown because of how ignorantly I was being treated, I was told that my internet was not working at high enough speed to get the HUB running properly.  So, Now I will pay an extra $20.00 per month to my internet provider in hopes that this thing will work.  Why is this the first time I've been told this?  Anyway, after upgrading my internet, I finally heard a dial tone for the first time on it.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  You might want to check out the speed of your internet and see if that might be the problem.  If this fails,  I swear, I will cancel, pay the idiotic fee, but I will end up cancelling all of my verizon cell lines as they expire.  It's just bad customer service and it will end up biting them.

0 Likes
louiss

Well you had me worried for a minute I had to call customer support and find out the deal

It is sad that the sales of the hub have stopped but the service will continue so will updates and so on

reasons for stopping the sales to many unexpected problems old routers , some internet providers blocked the hub because they have their own services they want you use stupid stuff like that

what is Verizon doing about it .... Well they have  the hub2 in the making witch will have all the same plus more features and doesn't run on your internet it is over the new wireless network that should start somewhere around 2010 and the hub2 probably around 2011 about perfect timing for you contract to have expired or close to expiring depending when you got in

me personally am looking forward to that when it happens cause I love my hub and if I can get a betterone  that doesn't rely on my cable staying up like during a power outage of something similar dude I am so ready

P.S. don't mind my spelling please not one of my strong suites.... wow the spell check had a tough one with me lol

0 Likes
searchforwisdom
Enthusiast - Level 3

To Louiss:

I know you are just repeating what you were told by the customer service rep, but let me give you the reality of the situaiton.

There will be no updates.   They are no longer going to use resources to develop a disconinued device.  This has already been stated.  There were several applications that were being made, and they have all been scrapped.  They were supposed to be out already.  Why on earth would you think that they have any motivation for innovating a discontinued product.

The HUB 2 you say?  I hope you realize there was already a HUB 2 protoype out several months ago, and it was scheduled to come out before the end of the year before verizon pulled the plug.  It sounds like they told you they will start to develop one, but that has already come and gone.  Here is an article back in APRIL of a hands on for the HUB 2!!!!!!   http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/16/verizons-iphone-like-hub-2-hands-on/

Listen, its not your fault that they lied to you but you really need to look at the whole situation and dont let them spin you.

0 Likes
invalid
Enthusiast - Level 2

I needed to step back for a while to cool off about this situation.  Now that I've given it time, I still think it is appropriate to start educating myself about class-action lawsuits. 

A contract is a 2-way street!

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
Guys, of course Verizon will still support the HUB. Just because it's discontinued doesn't mean Verizon will leave you out in the cold! Think about it, why do you think Verizon still services/warranties phones after they've stopped being manufactured? You paid for a service, and Verizon will continue to provide it. Try to have a little faith...
0 Likes
searchforwisdom
Enthusiast - Level 3
You only need faith if the facts are not on your side. And the fact is that verizon has discontinued the hub and is no longer SUPPORTING it. Yes they will keep the dail tone on because they are getting our money. But they are not going to update the OS in any real way. They won't come out with more applications and they won't be coming out with the hub 2. They do not update software for phones that are no longer made. You are wrong.
0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
Actually, they DO come out with new software for discontinued phones. Frequently. I should know, I install them all the time, as I'm a tech in the store. You should check your facts; you don't know as much as you think you do.
0 Likes