Help with Mobile Broadband Modem
aliciatx

I just got my Mobile Broadband wireless modem (the white one) in the mail and I followed the instructions on how to install it but it will not connect to the internet. I downloaded the software and connected the Modem and the VZaccess Manager pops up and I try to connect it to the internet but everytime it pops up with an "Error QA916" saying that it can not automatically activate my device while in a roaming coverage area. What does that mean? I went to the step by step help to install it and I did noticed that while it was installing it my computer skipped over some of the steps that were listed on the Help page.....like the step asking for the devices phone number. What could be a reason for this and how can I get my device to work?

Thanks for any help.

Alicia 

0 Likes
Re: Help with Mobile Broadband Modem
mrprez37

you might want to make sure that you aren't roaming.  you can do a search for "check coverage in your area" from the vzw homepage.  type in your address and make sure you are in a good service area.  other than that, take it into a store with your laptop.  thats what I would do.

0 Likes
strculious
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you are within coverage, try calling customer care. They may need to activate the card on their side.

Another thing, did you order the card and get it in the mail? Was there an 800 number to call? Sometimes you have to agree to the terms of service before you can activate it.

0 Likes
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1
Once you enter into the Verizon Wireless coverage area, the card can be activated and used in an extended coverage area.
0 Likes
jpierce1979
I have seen this error before. It most likely means that the Terms and Conditions have not been agreed to. There should be a number provided to walk you through activating your broadband. It is like a 866 number. I can't remember the rest. Then you will be able to connect.
0 Likes
jpierce1979
And also it is saying that your roaming because the card has not been activated yet, to find you on the network. You probably are not in a roaming coverage area. Hopefully, someone wouldn't have sold you a Broadband card if it wouldn't work in your area.
0 Likes
dialyn
Ijust received my modem and had to call customer service for this problem.  What the manual doesn't tell you is that you have to activate the device.  Go to the options menu on VZ access, and it includes an activation link.  Click on that.
0 Likes
strwest

I have the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the VZaccess manager, and the wizard never gives me the page to specify my phone number. Instead, it comes up with 000-000-6807 and won't let me change it. I'm using the UM175 device to do this - my PC card air card worked fine before this.

I saw someone said you have to use the Activation link on the Options menu - made no difference. I've done a "refresh networks" (it shows 3 bars the whole time and does recognize the device), Test WWAN device, re-ran the wizard, tried to Connect - always the same result you reported.

I even created a new dial-up connection and put the #777 number with my user account and password - no luck, since my user account is the right phone number and this device isn't using it.

I don't see a definitive fix posted, yet - any luck?

0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
As previously stated you should have received a Customer Order Receipt form with information regarding your devce, price paid, etc.  On this paperwork you will find an 800# with the number to call to accept the terms and conditions for your card (contract) and then your number will be released for activation.  You will be provided with information on how to activate the device (*228) send which can be done by going into Options w/in VZAM and choose activation or Run Setup Wizard on a MAC. 
0 Likes
Mina

Just wanted to add, I just purchased my own wireless broadband modem from a Verizon outlet. After installing the software I was getting the same error, so I waited a while but it didn't resolve. The tip to go to Options > Activation in the VZ Access Manager menu worked perfectly. Thanks for that! 

This is on a Vista Home Premium x64 machine too. Good luck everyone!

0 Likes