Re: Home Fusion, stay away
Givemhall

I signed up for the double your bytes for same price in October. I had written numerous emails suggesting that those of us who had never jumped ship should be getting some sort of break for being loyal For the Last 15 years. My usage had averaged 30 for over a year but any overages were ridiculous. The following month my usage jumped to 47(?) and last month over 60 (!?!) resulting in overages. After numerous chats with VZ folks - they tried to convince me that I was playing video games at 4 am....using my WiFi while at home which uses more bytes because it is a "secondary source" and should then only set my devices for cellular data and not WiFi( then WHY have Home Fusion) and probably allowing programs to run in the background..... It was a lot like asking a hospital administrator to explain a hospital bill- crickets.   Hmmm. It is only my husband and I using Home Fusion. We are 61. Right - video games. Why in the hell do I need home fusion if it costs more bytes to run my iPad air using WiFI instead of cellular?? Makes no sense,

I decided my only option was to file an FCC report. Surprise. I was contacted by the home office. They couldn't hear me. They think they could not have possibly done anything wrong. As I am educated and choose to read and watch television to stay informed I am sure that AT&T thought they could do no wrong either before being fined and providing customer refunds for overcharging. I have no real problem with Verizon or Home Fusion - I have a problem with the fact that Verizon has no competition for my business. And because they know that they are my only choice that they found some loophole or ruse to provide a service for a higher profit Than is necessary.

I suggest FCC reports. At some point - something has to change so that as Americans we have access to reasonably priced speedy Internet service. I do not believe that is too much to expect.

0 Likes
Not applicable

by wi-fi that means another data service other than Verizon. If you have HomeFusion and use wi-fi to connect to that you're still using Verizon's data network. Wi-fi means through DSL or cable internet. HomeFusion is for people whose only other choice for internet is satellite. If you could get DSL or cable internet you don't get HomeFusion

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>by wi-fi that means another data service other than Verizon

Not sure what you mean here.  Perhaps you are referring to a local muni WiFi service provider?

> you have HomeFusion and use wi-fi to connect to that you're still using Verizon's data network

Generally speaking WiFi is a local wireless service.  It is used to connect a computer or mobile device to a home router/Access Point.  Whatever you do over WiFi between your local devices is not of any concern to VZW.  What users are billed for is the traffic that is sent from the Jetpack or VZW device across the VZW network via 3G or 4G LTE to access the internet.  HomeFusion (Now rebranded as Internet Connected) is no exception to this policy, you can use WiFi with your local devices all you want for no charge.  WiFi is free, 3G and 4G LTE are not.

> Wi-fi means through DSL or cable internet

WiFi does not mean through DSL or cable internet.  DSL and Cable are ISP connections that serve the same role as VZW only over a different connection medium.  Anyone can use WiFi on any kind of ISP connection, its not exclusive to one or another.  You don't even need an ISP to use WiFi, you can run a home router all by itself without an internet connection.

> HomeFusion is for people whose only other choice for internet is satellite

HomeFusion is not specifically marketed to areas that only have satellite.  However it is the most attractive for people who are in that situation. 

> If you could get DSL or cable internet you don't get HomeFusion

Normally when DSL or cable internet are available you would want to go with them over a wireless provider like VZW for your primary internet connection.  Only light usage folks would be a good candidate to replace a permanent home cabled ISP connection with a wireless service like VZW. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

John Getzke wrote:

>by wi-fi that means another data service other than Verizon

Not sure what you mean here.  Perhaps you are referring to a local muni WiFi service provider?

Meaning your normally connect to "wi-fi" on your phone to avoid using Verizon data. If you have Homefusion and you use "wi-fi" to conenct to it you're still using Verizon's data. Apparently some people are under the assumption that using ANY wi-fi means mobile data is not being used.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ah alright, yes that is true.

As long as what you are doing is going over the VZW network in one way or another then VZW will hold you accountable for that traffic on your final bill.  Anything you do off of their network is outside of their concern.

0 Likes
Susie0223

I too have had problems with spiratic overages. I had internet for three years with Wild Blue and never went over my allotted 25 gb- same computer same iphone same uses.

First month w/ Fusion I "supposedly" used 33 gb. I called and complained they sent someone out he replaced the router and told me that sometimes these things meaning Catenna & Router record "ghost data". Never heard of it before- I questioned what if this doesn't take care of it, the tech said they'd come out and replace the cantenna next to resolve problem.

Next month...June 8 GB/ July 15 GB/ Aug. 4GB/ THEN Sept. 178GB< charging me $1582.00 in overages. I started working to resolve this matter immediately spending many hours on the phone each conversation trying to get this resolved.

I just wanted this problem resolved, the overages off my bill, and fix this cantenna or remove it so I don't have the aggravation anymore.

Today was the deadline for this craziness and there is no resolution in place. I have contacted the better business bureau  for an investigation, joined this forum, will post an update on Facebook, & plan to contact every consumer hotine or complaint dept..

Tomorrow if still no resolution I plan to start looking for a class action Lawyer so that I can turn this over to them and Verizon to work out and then go set up my account with AT & T or our local carrier.

Sad, I have been with Verizon since July of 2000- happy before now. Can't believe they'd let a loyal customer go that spends $373 per month. If they did the math they'd see it's not such a wise decision.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I plan to start looking for a class action Lawyer

IANAL but. ...

You might want to read your contract first.  By signing a contract with VZW you have waived your rights to a class action lawsuit against them.  This is the main reason why no class actions have been formed so far.  If they were possible wed see them in headlines.  What you need to do is take VZW to small claims court as an individual and argue for your individual case instead.

Susie0223

I will look into that and if I have to pursue it in that manner then I will do so. Thanks

0 Likes
dmstew

I would NOT recommend Home Fusion.  There is no way to verify volume of usage.  I had a different service that Verizon had bought out which was based on speed.  Verizon told me their records showed our usage would be around 15G per month of data.  We started with that plan and stayed around or below that volume originally.  We do not stream videos or download files to make sure data is limited.  Verizon then started stating we were exceeding and we moved up to the 20G plan which we weren't close to.  As soon as we increased our data plan, we started to exceed the 20G magically so now they had a plan to go to 30G for less so we switched and now we have exceeded the 30G without any different activity.  I've called technical service and they had no reason nor any response to exact data numbers.  They were going to check into my situation and get back with me but still haven't.  I will be cancelling this service.

0 Likes
MadVictim

Just found out from a VZW insider - they're using a topology called 'mesh networking' to expand their reach.  Basically using your system to hop data to others farther from the towers.  Algorithm in router is failing to discern your data use from their hijacking.  Time for massive complaints to FCC.  The more filed the more likely VZW will fix it and/or get sanctioned.  FCC Complaints Link.

0 Likes