Home networking with MiFi200
dc71

I just started with MiFi200.  Have been using Cradlepoint router with an ATT aircard.  I had my three computers and wireless printer networked with the Cradlepoint.  Can I do something similar with the MiF?. Verizon Customer Care says "no".  If not, how can I share my printer and files?  Computer-computer network?  I have never tried that before.

0 Likes
Re: Home networking with MiFi200
Mandella
The MiFi200 is still a router, and I don't see why you should not be able to set up a home network with it, like any other router. The exact way it is done will depend on your operating systems and such -- google around for exact instructions, or just try following the Home network setup if you are using Win 7. Oh, and Verizon tech support is generally going to be useless for such things. You'll do better checking around self help sites on the internet.
0 Likes
lckcmk

The speed on mine is literally slower than dial-up in some instances and if both of us are trying to use it at the same time it literally stops.  That could be a major frustration for you.  It's amazing, I get great signal strength on my phone but for some reason the MIFI doesn't.  That may very well affect your home network.  I wish you good luck.

0 Likes
molaker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure why VZ Customer Care would say you can't plug your MiFi into a router.  If your Cradlepoint has a USB port, you should be able to do the same thing you did with your ATT Air Card.  Cradlepoint offers routers that do have USB ports.

Using your MiFi as a router would mean all your devices would have to be wireless and the MiFi can only handle 5 devices max.  This may or may not meet your needs.  It did not meet mine.  I use a Linksys WRT54G with Tomato 1.28 firmware as a "wireless client" and router.  Basically, it bridges to the MiFi and at the same time provides router services to my network.  This means only one device is connected to the MiFi (as far as it can detect) and so I am not limited to 5 connections.

Another option would be to connect the MiFi directly to one of your computers and share that computer's Internet connect (ICS) and permit all networked computers to access it.  How to do this with XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126.  The only problem with this method is that computer must be on anytime any other computer needs Internet access.

0 Likes