Re: HomeFusion Blocking Youtube Videos?
captain_freddie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well after resetting my system, twice and trying my wife's phone we cannot see videos on YouTube...  WTF? Come take this thing out. I don't want it.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for adding in here captain, there seems to be some kind of a trend forming.

Its good that you mentioned a firmware update from the Cantenna, that is most likely where the problem started.  We have seen many bad firmware updates in recent history for the VZW jetpacks where 4G LTE connectivity and VPN support is broken.  Its not too much of a stretch to say that a firmware update may have broken communication with a website too.

Please do us a favor and report this directly to VZW support and see if you can get us an official response.  Be sure to have a few computers available when VZW asks to troubelshoot so you can prove it is an issue with the connection and not some kind of software conflict on a individual machine.  That should prompt them to send a incident to engineering or the hardware vendor to investigate.

Keep us posted on your progress so we can share with others.

scott21
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same new firmware HF is working great, Call vzw and talk to support.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

johnnusko,

We want to make sure that you have consistent connection on your HomeFuision. Have you reset the router? http://vz.to/1gyVT96
Let us know if that helps!

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
johnnusko
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not do a factory reset on the router because I will then lose all of my router settings. The dropped connections are coming from the cantanna. The cantanna system log shows a message every time the connection is dropped. I did do a factory reset on the cantanna. Power cycling both the router and cantanna have no effect when the instability starts. The past few days have shown stability in the morning until the early afternoon. It then becomes unstable and I resort to using the hotspot on my iPad for a reliable connection.

0 Likes
captain_freddie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have reset the cantenna and the router at least twice. My phone job my wife's works on HF wifi. They work on other wifi systems like at work. Also my neighbor has a Verizon hot spot and it won't show youtube videos either. Could there be something wrong with the local tower?

0 Likes
wtfranklin
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I take my laptop to another location, yes, it's connected to a non HF router. But that ALSO means it has a NON Verizon assigned IP address. If Verizon wants to block a site or limit bandwidth, that is what they would be focusing on - THEIR assigned blocks of IP addresses.

A different HF user would have a different (Verizon) IP. AGAIN, Verizon has a block of IPs it assigns to whoever is using their network. They could easily assign a particular range to certain HF customers to experiment on.

I've been away from home for a couple of days and just got back to my problem - BTW the laptop worked FINE while out of town. I've been experimenting. OCCASIONALLY - maybe once out of 20 times - I can play a video. Sometimes ONLY the ad, sometimes ad AND video. If I hit reload though, it usually WON'T play the 2nd time. Other times it sits there for 30 - 40 seconds and THEN starts to play.

I didn't mention that when my 1st PC was affected; when I could still use the other 3, I was concentrating on THAT machine. Thinking I had a virus, I eventually ran out of ideas and just reloaded Win7. Youtube worked fine for about 3 hours, then STOPPED again. It's not a tower issue. I can see the tower from my house - it's 1 mile away. My Verizon phone plays the vids fine (from the SAME tower) when NOT connected to the HF WIFI.

It's still hard to believe that the router itself (hardware) could be the cause of NOT being able to play videos from ONE site on the net. Look at the list I displayed below. I stopped at 13 because it was apparent that ANYWHERE else I went, I was going to be able to play the videos. Now...router SOFTWARE is another matter, and that's what I'm getting at - SOFTWARE to slow speeds or deny access - POSSIBLY the newest firmware.

In an effort to be able to access youtube videos, I've been going to the youtube site and selecting the video I wanted (HOPING it was what I wanted - since I couldn't actually VIEW it - and copying the URL. I would then go to another site and copy that into the navigation bar. That site would access youtube and download the content to my PC. As background...I have 2 video editing software programs that I'm learning. One has ALL of their tutorials on youtube. The other has a large following of users and MANY post tutorials on youtube. Rather than going out and playing the SAME tutorial DAY after DAY - wasting MY cap and adding unneccesary traffic EVERY day, I would download the tutorials and watch them at my leisure. Today, THAT site is not able to access youtube. I get the error: "Failed to make the request. Please try again." Just started TODAY. HOWEVER...I found a DIFFERENT site to do the same thing a couple of minutes ago and lo and behold, that site WORKS. Any bets as to how log until THAT site FAILS? I've also lost the ability to view embedded youtube videos - like those that friends post on Facebook. Those worked until yesterday.

And...I'm not trying to be demeaning here so don't take it that way, but why would you be privy to "any active blocking efforts by VZW."? I wouldn't suppose they'd be broadcasting that anywhere. Maybe you work for VZW?

I did a (soft) reboot of BOTH HBA and HBR. Made no difference. I guess a factory reset is next for the HBR, though I'll lose some port forwarding changes and static address assignments that I made (over a year ago, BTW).

When that DOESN'T work, I guess I'll be calling tech support. And BTW, WHY is there NO way to roll back a faulty firmware upgrade? That's bush league!!

I'm paying $120/mo for a VERY limited amount of bandwidth! I hope you can see why I'm a little MORE than upset.

Thanks for weighing in people. This is pretty frustrating.

captain_freddie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's the answer. I called and opened a ticket with them. Diego from the network team called back and had me reboot the system. All's well now. He had to disable IP version 6 which reverts back to version 4. Version 6 sends packets that are too large and are being dropped. 

Call them and they can fix you up.

wtfranklin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hard reboot - paper clip?

I already did a reboot from the admin panel. It didn't help. Also, there isn't another way to reset the IPv6 to IPV4 WITHOUT rebooting? SMH

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
captain_freddie
Enthusiast - Level 2

There may be a way on the router...?

0 Likes