HomeFusion Broadband - General discussion
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Looks like VZW announced a new broadband service called HomeFusion:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/pr2012-03-05f.html

Pricing is tiered and starting at $60.00 for 10 GB.

It needs to be professionally installed at your home for $200.00.

Only available in a very few markets right now.

What a coincidence that VZW also filed for more spectrum from the FCC:

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021897886

Feel free to post your thoughts and comments.

0 Likes
Re: HomeFusion Broadband - General discussion
jcharriso51
Enthusiast - Level 2

For customers like me that live is a rural area without Cable or DSL this is very appealing.  I am on the $80 for 10GB plan at the moment and it looks like I would be able to move to 20Gb for an extra $10.   That would certainly ease the bottleneck and constant monitoring that the 10GB limit imposes.  I may even be able to watch a movie or two.

My hope is that Verizon will provide a migration path for their existing MB customers to move to this service without paying cancellation fees on their current contracts.   Even better would be the option to use my existing USB modem and personal 4G router with this service. 

Jack

0 Likes
bosn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was excited to learn of this new service since I am considered rural. (About 40 miles out of Nashville, Tn.) I have no 4g & my MIFI 4510L on 3g is constantly disconnecting & speeds vary greatly, sometimes fair & other times horrible. Have spoken to Verizon tech people numerous times & after being "bumped up" several levels, have always been given the same song & dance routine I am sure you have been given. Several tickets issued but no positive results.

Spoke to a sales person at a local Verizon store yesterday who had just gone through a training session about HomeFusion. She typed in my address & to my great surprise told me I would not be covered yet. Those in rural??? Nashville would be however. As usual, we rural people will have to wait until who knows when, even tho Verizon announces to the world they are doing this for us...I also asked about switching to HomeFusion from MIFI. Was told I would not be able to switch, without penalty, until my present contract expired!!!

I hope someone at Verizon reads this & can correct this information.

Mike

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I would assume that you will not be able to recieve HomeFusion until there is LTE in your area.  Not sure if they plan to put up new towers to offer this service or if they are going to apply it to thier existing LTE footprint in the pilot areas.  Eventually all 3G will be LTE if Verizon follows through with its plan. 

0 Likes
wrathstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just had home fusion installed at my home.
Ordering and installation were painfully slow.
It took 2 hours to get the product ordered at the store, and 4 hours for the tech to get it installed and running.

My speeds are right about 10Mb/sec download.
So far so good on the availability.

0 Likes
el_tejon

We got HomeFusion for our small business about 6 weeks ago. Speed is great, however we are trying to get a handle on our usage. The Data Usage log showed significant data usage overnight when no one is here. Our interim solution is to disconnect the router each night when we leave, not great. My questions are:

1) How can we be (seemingly) hacked right out of the gate like that?

2) How can I change the password key to combat this?

3) How do I tell what time router is set at? I was told it would be same as our local time zone. Does not seem to be the case, making it difficult to monitor. Also, online usage log is spotty at best, sometimes half a day behind, others (currently) 3 days behind.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello Paul,

Disconnecting from the HBR when not in use is a good idea until you can find your data leak.  I'd suggest setting up a packet sniffer on your connected devices and monitoring the connection for a while.  Great tools like Network Monitor 3.4 and Fiddler can help you see the traffic in real time and point you in the right direction. 

To answer your questions:

1. Chances are you have computers and devices that run updates overnight.  Patches, backups, and software updates are often behind most of the unusual behavior.  Hackers and moochers are rare and I wouldn't assume you have been compromised unless you can find evidence somewhere else.

2. The HBR has a configuration page that will allow you to change the wireless and admin passwords. Check out the User Guide for steps on how to access the config page.

3. It should be the same as the local tower it is connected to. If you notice the time is inconsistent you should contact VZW for advice.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

El_tejon, I can understand why it's important to keep track of your broadband usage. That's strange that there is usage on your device when no one is there. Do you have your computer or other WiFi devices turned on overnight? Is it possible that updates (Windows updates, app updates, etc.) are occuring? You can change the password by accessing the HomeFusion admin page: http://goo.gl/dbIaV. Under the admin page you can also check the time zone.

1 On the top menu, click Advanced.
2 The Advanced page appears. Click HBA Advanced Settings on the bottom of the page and then click Yes to confirm that you want to access the advanced settings.
3 Under the Clock icon, click Date and Time.
4 In the Time Zone list, select your time zone.

Let me know if these steps help.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
el_tejon

Hi John,

I went on the HBR configuration page. It turns out router was set to East

coast time, which accounts for some of my confusion looking at the usage

detail on website. Now, in that log, when is says "8.55am 412,887 kB" is

that usage from the 6 hours before 8:55 or the 6 hours after?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes