HomeFusion Data Explosion - 31GB in 22 hours!
TheLlama

I've been a HomeFusion customer since August 2012 and this morning I woke up to 15 data overage emails from 10pm ->5:30am. 

I am only midway through my billing cycle so I was surprised when I got the 75% of my monthly limit (30GB) at 3pm and even more surprised when I got the 90% email at 6:30pm.  I made the family verify that their phones and laptops were on my true unlimited, but 3G, Sprint service (at $52/mo) and not the expensive, but fast, HomeFusion.  Everyone verified that they were off - thanks to the POS router that comes with the HomeFusion it is actually pretty difficult to tell currently active IPs on the LAN.  When I went to bed we had one device connected by ethernet to the HomeFusion Router.

19 days into my billing cycle I used 17.25103262GB as of 6:46am 3/13/2014.  As of 4:29am 3/14/2014 Verizon is claiming I used 48.4066235GB - just over 1.41GB/hr over 22 hours...  From 8:31pm until the last update on the site at 4:29am every 45 minutes 1.55GB is being claimed to have been used.  Varying right around 0.01MB each time...

Something is seriously jacked up with Verizon's data usage calculators!  I called support and they took down the info and "will call me back after they investigate".  Neither our routers, nor our online tools we have access to, can help the customer on the hook for paying the fees determine what internal IPs are responsible for the usage or what external IPs the data is going to/from.

Needless to say, this is BY FAR my highest Verizon bill and since I cannot trust the router/HBA, and/or Verizon's data center, to be recording data usage properly I have the HomeFusion router turned off.

Has anyone had actual success in Verizon running down a data usage calculation problem? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HomeFusion Data Explosion - 31GB in 22 hours!
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Looks like a download of some kind got stuck and tried over and over again until you pulled the plug.  We can see this by how consistent your traffic was during this time period.  Something big went down around 3/13 at noon that caused your HomeFusion to continue to consume internet for several more hours.  Id suggest bringing whatever device was left online during that time to a separate location to let it complete its business so that your VZW plan is no longer effected.

The problem with data overage situations is that unless you have your own monitors setup from the beginning, pinpointing a leak is very difficult and above the skills, patience and wallets of most users.  Likewise defending yourself against overage charges is also very difficult.  VZW does not disclose information about IP Addresses or applications requesting internet.  If they did then we would have a much better idea of what actually happened.  At the moment it is really not that different from your power bill where the power company provides you with juice and bills you accordingly.  The power company makes no attempt to distinguish which devices or outlets consume the juice.

Success in data usage problems is rarely posted to the forums.  The majority of the time the users fail to post their conclusions for us so we are left to wonder what actually happened.  This gives me the impression that they decided to terminate and move on or gave up out of frustration.  When success is posted we learn that VZW will sometimes comp small overages, the large overages are generally not so lucky.

If you would like more help with anything then please let us know and keep us posted.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Looks like a download of some kind got stuck and tried over and over again until you pulled the plug.  We can see this by how consistent your traffic was during this time period.  Something big went down around 3/13 at noon that caused your HomeFusion to continue to consume internet for several more hours.  Id suggest bringing whatever device was left online during that time to a separate location to let it complete its business so that your VZW plan is no longer effected.

The problem with data overage situations is that unless you have your own monitors setup from the beginning, pinpointing a leak is very difficult and above the skills, patience and wallets of most users.  Likewise defending yourself against overage charges is also very difficult.  VZW does not disclose information about IP Addresses or applications requesting internet.  If they did then we would have a much better idea of what actually happened.  At the moment it is really not that different from your power bill where the power company provides you with juice and bills you accordingly.  The power company makes no attempt to distinguish which devices or outlets consume the juice.

Success in data usage problems is rarely posted to the forums.  The majority of the time the users fail to post their conclusions for us so we are left to wonder what actually happened.  This gives me the impression that they decided to terminate and move on or gave up out of frustration.  When success is posted we learn that VZW will sometimes comp small overages, the large overages are generally not so lucky.

If you would like more help with anything then please let us know and keep us posted.

0 Likes
MoniBotts

I am not sure that this applies, but we have Verizon's Share Everything and we have a Jetpack (MiFi) and we recently had 4 major spikes in data usage totaling 12.4 gigs. This was in over a duration of two days. I called and no one can tell me what happened or why. They think it was some sort of download that happened. I think this is not the case because it has never happened in the three or more years we've had the Jetpack. Any input is appreciated.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

VZW reps do not have access to look at your actual internet history.  All that anyone can reveal is the data logs with summary information about your various sessions. The only way that VZW will release specific information is through a court order and common folk like us are not going to get one of those anytime soon.  Some day that may change but for now VZW and all ISPs do not have to, so they wont.

When it comes to investigating data charges you must treat the situation like a leaky pipe and VZW like the water utility company.  VZW knows there is a leak because you have racked up a high water bill.  However it is still up to you to figure out where that leak is and shut it down.  VZW is going to make sure the water makes it to your house and that there is no problem with the mains.  What you do with the water after that point is up to you. 

The best thing you can do is try to protect yourself by powering down your device when you are not using it.  Anytime your Jetpack is on someone or something can attempt to communicate over it and you will be held responsible for it.  If you want to take it to the next level then consider looking into and setting up a few data monitor programs.

0 Likes
jackal123

Same deal.  Exactly 1.55 GB per hour from about 6:55 pm to 3:30 a.m. except every 20 minutes or so.  Racked up 26+ GB overnight.  I find it suspicious that we both had the exact same GB usage for a similar period of time.  Looking at a $500 bill this month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concerns regarding data usage jackal123! Being that the usage outlined in your post is consistent on an hourly basis, this could be an update of a device connected to your HomeFusion. Most computers have the option to prompt for acceptance of system upgrades, I recommend reviewing your devices settings and ensure that all are set to requested confirmation before any system upgrade/update takes place in the background.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
jackal123

I appreciate the response.  For clarification it was 1.55 GB every 22 minutes which is a great deal of data.  I find it suspicious that someone else had the exact same usage for a similar block of time.  I know it's not the computers because I track their usage, Ipad's haven't been used for months and batteries are dead...same with Ipod's and Kindles are set on airplane mode.  We live way out in the country and the system is password protected so I know it's not coming from outside the home.  The Xbox had no major download scheduled for that day - Even if it was a device in the home, one of the issues I have is that there is no effective automatic shut off in the event of a download running amuck, I can't set up text message alerts unless I have a Verizon phone which would have alerted me in a timely manner and if I keep this service it could happen at anytime.  This bill will be as much as a car or even house payment which I won't pay unless I

know it's our fault.  The other issue is that the emailed alerts for overages don't match the recorded usage when I go to My Verizon usage report and add up all of the daily usage.

If Verizon does an investigation will it show which device was downloading? 

If the kids were downloading video's on their devices (which I highly doubt) will it show specifically which websites they accessed, web browsing history, etc or just that a particular device was doing a download?

What can we do to get timely alerts (other than email) to warn us to shut something down when alerts are going off?

I'd like to keep this service but we can't live in fear that in the overnight hours major overages are stacking up.

Thanks,

BH

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

"I won't pay unless I know it's our fault."

VZW will hold you liable for any charges on your bill. I highly advise that you continue to work with a VZW rep to make sure any overage charges are waived before attempting to walk away from your bill.  It can be done.

"If Verizon does an investigation will it show which device was downloading?"

No.

"will it show specifically which websites they accessed, web browsing history, etc"

No.

"What can we do to get timely alerts (other than email) to warn us to shut something down when alerts are going off?"

Email is your only choice for alert messages at this time.  Otherwise checking data usage is a manual procedure.  You can sign into your VZW account online or dial the 1800-922-0204 and work through the menu to have the operator recite your data usage.

"I'd like to keep this service but we can't live in fear that in the overnight hours major overages are stacking up"

The best defense that you have is to power off the your device when it is not in use.  Don't allow your device to run amuck in the first place by removing its ability to communicate over the VZW network.  I'd advise using this technique until you can get your usage back under control.

VZW does not expose specific information about anyone's usage at this time.  They are not required to disclose their private proprietary information about your usage without a court order.  If an investigation by VZW does expose any of this information they will not share the logs with you or the rep you most likely will be working with.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jackal123 we'll uncover this mystery and make certain that everything adds up to you. For your privacy, the system does not display specifically what activity was done to accumulate the usage. However we do have a great tool called the Data Calculator http://vz.to/M1wpU3 to help understand how usage is accrued. Next to stay on top of your usage, you can dial #DATA from your cellphone if you're on the More Everything Plan or review on My Verizon.

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes