HomeFusion, purchased public ip's need help getting them to work with my machines
midwestaccserv

Hello,

I've recently had Verizon set up a block of public ip's for me, but I can't seem to make my HBA or HBR work with them so I may assign some of my machines to the public ip's.  I'm just trying to set them up so I can SSH into each box to manage them.  Anyone have any experience with assigning public ip's to machines within their local network?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HomeFusion, purchased public ip's need help getting them to work with my machines
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I have never configured a static IP on a HBR but the process should be similar to what anyone has to do with a public IP. In a nutshell you need to configure the routers port forwarding area to send specific traffic to one of your LAN machines.

More info:

http://www.nch.com.au/kb/networking-routers.html

When you purchase a Static/Public IP Address from VZW, VZW automatically assigns it to their device (in your case, the HBR).  Whenever anyone over the internet tries to access the static IP, they are actually accessing the VZW device.  You need to tell the router what to do if it sees a specific kind of internet traffic and where to send it. 

Chances are you will need to forward port 22 TCP and UDP to the IP Address of the machine you want to remote into while using SSH.  If your remote control application uses a different port to communicate you will need to open a pathway for that protocol and port tool.  Once all the connections are made you should have no problems accessing your machines.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: HomeFusion, purchased public ip's need help getting them to work with my machines
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I have never configured a static IP on a HBR but the process should be similar to what anyone has to do with a public IP. In a nutshell you need to configure the routers port forwarding area to send specific traffic to one of your LAN machines.

More info:

http://www.nch.com.au/kb/networking-routers.html

When you purchase a Static/Public IP Address from VZW, VZW automatically assigns it to their device (in your case, the HBR).  Whenever anyone over the internet tries to access the static IP, they are actually accessing the VZW device.  You need to tell the router what to do if it sees a specific kind of internet traffic and where to send it. 

Chances are you will need to forward port 22 TCP and UDP to the IP Address of the machine you want to remote into while using SSH.  If your remote control application uses a different port to communicate you will need to open a pathway for that protocol and port tool.  Once all the connections are made you should have no problems accessing your machines.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Here is another great article that explains the process of handling static and public IP addresses:

http://www.nch.com.au/kb/networking-ipaddress.html

They use a great analogy that compares IP addresses to phone numbers and ports to extension numbers.  That should help clarify what needs to be done to rig up your enviornment.

0 Likes