Hot spot
mart32753
Enthusiast - Level 1

The billing charges and the level of data absorption by the Verizon Hot Spot is uncontrollable. If you use or have this device, then you are probably watching your money fly right out the window. There is no way that I know of to monitor or conveniently control its operation efficiently. When I went to the Verizon store, the representative told me that many computers are always streaming data, i.e., the data flow is uncontrollable. I have also noticed that the on/off switch is tricky. It can be on, when you think it is off. I have solved this problem, by disconnecting the battery and the power source when not in use. In any case, I was advised to buy the data level packages which I did. I am up to 10 gigabytes which is crazy because I don't use the computer more than an hours or two a day. This is costing me about $125 a month. I can get an entire cable package with telephone, cable, and internet each month for less than that. Verizon better fiqure out a way to package this service more economically because, I am not sure how many people will want to pay so much!

0 Likes
Re: Hot spot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the choice of a landline based internet service, why did you choice Verizon Wireless for your broadband access?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Just so you know, one Netflix movie runs around 2GB.  So, depending on what you're doing on your computer, you can easily use 10GB in a matter of a few days.  You should definitely get cable, DSL, or U-Verse for your home use, if it's available.  Use Verizon Mobile Broadband for when you're away from home and not near a WIFI signal.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Parts of what the VZW store rep told you are true.  Computers when connected to a network are constantly talking on the network and checking in with apps and services.  You cannot and do not want to stop all network traffic on your computers or they will cease to work.

The trick is to find out and stop the ones that you do not really need and let the normal ones do thier job.  Otherwise the next time you conenct to the internet they will go nuts and try to catch up on all the updates they may have missed since the last time you connected.

The only way for you to get to the bottom of it is to start watching what you are doing and keep a log.  Check in with VZW frequently to see how your habits are impacting your data plan.  The VZW logs are limited in information but they are helpful for providing timestamps that you can cross-reference with your internet log.  When things dont match up then there is most likely a background service or update service that is to blame.  Given enough time and research you will be able to figure it out.  The question is if its worth the invenstment of your time and money or not.

0 Likes