Hotspot data usage...
AAR1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

First, support will tell you that you can increase and decrease your data plans at will. Not entirely true. You can increase them at ANY time but decreasing them allegedly requires you to wait until the end of your cycle. If you scream loud enough they will read you a disclaimer and do it on the spot so... make noise. Secondly.... their data usage calculations are 100% a lie. I ran an experiment using my Verizon HTC One and an ATT air card connected to my computer. I streamed two identical movies through each device. Verizon used 8GB and the ATT card used 4.5GB. Verizon needs to explain this because basically they are double billing for data and if that's the case I'd say we have a real problem

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot data usage...
Weth
Legend

On your experiment, which one did you do first?  It is possible there was buffered data on the computer and the entire movie did not need to be downloaded. If Verizon was the first one, you should repeat experiment in opposite order.  nake sure auto update is turned off on the computer and phone. 

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot data usage...
AAR1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

Excellent point. I did ATT first though.... I shared the air card through my laptop over CAT5 to an xBox using Netflix. After the two movies I checked the usage and thought "that's odd, when I use the HTC hotspot this way it seems to chew up tons of data....". Pulled the CAT5 out of the xBox and used the HTC hotspot.

If I was going to have unusually high usage it would have been the Rube Goldberg - air card, computer, CAT5 method.

0 Likes